• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Is it time for a Cat 6?

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Did anyone catch this article...

“Climate change has demonstrably made the strongest storms stronger,” said Michael Wehner, a senior scientist at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. “Introduction of this hypothetical Category 6 would raise awareness of that.”

Wehner and James Kossin, a distinguished science adviser at the First Street Foundation, suggest the Category 6 label could go to any tropical cyclone with sustained winds of at least 192 mph — an intensity that five storms have surpassed since 2013.

At first, I was against this, but as I read through the discussion, I can see where this is a valid question. I've always wondered why they didn't update the lower levels up to take into account modern construction methods. Any thoughts?

Atlantic

Reaction score
I saw it though Discord.

I feel Category 6 is not needed.

Category 5 status states 157 mph +

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Did anyone catch this article...

At first, I was against this, but as I read through the discussion, I can see where this is a valid question. I've always wondered why they didn't update the lower levels up to take into account modern construction methods. Any thoughts?
The moment I saw the word "Berkeley", nah. Any proposal like this coming from the Bay Area is not worth paying attention to at all.

Back