The following is only a set of guidelines. These are not hard and fast rules for the way this forum will be moderated. Each "situation" will be handled on a case-by-case basis. However, these guidelines apply to everyone who posts here.
Tropical Thread Guidelines
1. Don't post full Public Advisory texts unless the system has just developed, or changes status (for example, from tropical depression to tropical storm or tropical storm to hurricane, and so on) Instead, only post the "guts" (location, watches/warnings, wind, pressure, etc)
2. Don't post entire discussion texts. It is acceptable to post excerpts of discussions if you want to highlight certain points for discussion purposes. Otherwise, it is unnecessary and will be deleted.
3. Don't post the same track or model graphic multiple times in the same thread.
These guidelines are intended to descrease the amount of clutter and redundant information in tropical system threads and to promote and encourage actual discussion. Advisories, discussions and other offical products are already archived at government and university websites, so it is unnecessary to duplicate that service here.
1. Flaming, excessive use of foul language, personal attacks, and posting of inappropriate material (including remote-loading images or posting links to inappropriate material) is strictly prohibited.
a. Flaming is defined as the intentional posting of inflammatory messages (often directed at a specific individual)
b. Cursing is strongly discouraged, regardless of context. Use of “bad curse words” (no matter how many times they are used)
will be considered excessive profanity. Beyond this, it will be up to moderators and administrators how much profanity will be deemed excessive.
c. Personal attacks are defined as confrontational and unsubstantiated and/or nonconstructive criticisms of an individual or group
of individuals. This includes excessive “one-upping” or degrading of other individuals.
1. Private Messaging may also be subject to the enforcement of this guideline.
d. It will be up to moderators and administrators what material is deemed inappropriate. Some examples of inappropriate material
include (but are not limited to):
1. Links to websites with material failing to meet the criteria in the above points. (In cases when the linked site only has excessive
foul language, this may [moderator/administrator’s discretion] be ignored if a strong disclaimer is appended to the link.)
2. Posts with strong sexual innuendo.
2. Registering/posting with more than one username per person is prohibited.
a. Users who want to post on the forum from multiple locations but cannot remember his/her passwords should ask an administrator
to reset his/her password or have a new password emailed automatically
so they can remember it and use it as they please – not register a new name.
3. Intentional posting of false and highly sensational information is prohibited.