Ice storm this date in 1985 over North Alabama

9 replies to this topic

#1 SWL

SWL
  • 48747 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 03:43 PM

From 33/40 afternoon discussion:

A MAJOR ALABAMA ICE STORM: We have heard several people comment lately that if we donít get snow or ice in January, that we are pretty much out of luck when it gets to be February. Not so. In extreme NE Alabama, one of the worst ice storms ever occurred on March 2. North-Central Alabama has received some significant snowstorms in February. Even down in Auburn, a Valentineís Day snowstorm in the 1970s dumped 14 inches of snow. At this time in 1985, a big chunk of North and NW Alabama was in a critical situation. I was working the midnight shift on February 1, 1985. Here are a few excerpts from a special weather statement I issued at 3:15 a.m. on a Friday: "A damaging ice storm is ahead for NW Alabama. The National Weather Service emphasizes that this will be an ice storm of damaging proportions. There will be potential major damage to trees and utility lines and numerous highways will become impassable. There will likely be numerous and extended power outages. Early this morning, power lines were already falling in Southern Lawrence County and on MonteSano Mountain in Huntsville." (Later that day, sleet became so deep that the bottom of state trooper cars were scraping the sleet accumulation. Sleet and ice with some snow accumulated to 11 inches deep. For the first time in history, all roads were closed in Florence. Just a reminderóthat was 1985ónot today!

[ February 02, 2004: Message edited by: SWL ]

#2 keithinala

keithinala
  • Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 03:46 PM

Guess they cleared that up for the people saying that it's pretty much over.....

#3 keithinala

keithinala
  • Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 04:02 PM

I'll never forget it...only cold rain was forecast and then some colder air moved in...all of a sudden everything started freezing...a friend of mine went to UNA for the night and it took him a week go get back to Huntsville...

#4 Mike Calloway

Mike Calloway
  • Members
  • 1839 posts
  • CoCoRaHS ID:AL-CN-9

Posted 02 February 2004 - 04:20 PM

Notice that all those reports for 1985 was over NW Ala. In central Ala., there was only minor icing.

#5 GJ

GJ
  • Members
  • 3520 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 04:40 PM

It was certainly memorable here in central North Alabama ... or whatever we're called. Lots of ice, and for days.

Our power was off for several days, and we had a chimney fire.

#6 David in SW Blount

David in SW Blount
  • Members
  • 2336 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 04:45 PM

quote:

Originally posted by GJ:
It was certainly memorable here in central North Alabama ... or whatever we're called.

LOL.  I don't like the term "North Central Alabama" as a reference for the Northern sections of Central Alabama.  To me, when someone says North Central, that means the Central part of the Northern section of the state.  OR - the Northern part of the central part of the state, looking at it from longitude, rather than latitude.  

Huntsville, to me, should be considered North Central Alabama!!

#7 keithinala

keithinala
  • Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 04:48 PM

North Central Alabama to me would be Jasper,maybe up to Cullman,Gadsden,etc....I think it is generally accepted that you have north,then central,then south as you go down across the state...

#8 SWL

SWL
  • 48747 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 05:32 PM

I consider North Alabama HUN's coverage area and North Central the counties that border that down to Shelby and Randolph Counties).

#9 bkelley

bkelley
  • Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 05:46 PM

I remember that pretty well, I can remember watching my dad walk out to the covered wood pile wearing his golf shoes so that he didnt fall.  I was out playing on the ice and busting my rear. LOL.

#10 mikewx

mikewx
  • Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 06:21 PM

That was by far the worst ice storm I've ever seen.  In NE HSV, power was out for days due to very heavy freezing rain.  West and southwest of us sleet piled up in amazing amounts.  

This ice storm came after one of the biggest cold snaps of all time when it dropped to -11 in HSV.  The streets were like ice skating rinks.  When the sun came out, it only melted the very top layer, making it impossible to even walk.  I literally had to crawl part of the way to our neighbor's house it was so slick.  We were very fortunate to have a wood burning stove.  

I used to have pictures that I may share someday if I can find them and get access to a scanner.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users