Days start getting longer today ...

6 replies to this topic

#1 GJ

GJ
  • Members
  • 3520 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 09:58 AM

sort of.  

The actual period of least light is at the winter solstice, on December 21 or 22 (I can never remember which   )

But the time of sunset is now getting later, which, if we could perceive the minor differences at the moment, means the effective daylength for most of us is already increasing ... we have longer afternoons which we notice more. Of course, this means that sunrise is also getting later so the time of actual daylight minimum is at the solstice.

Go to  http://aa.usno.navy....RS_OneYear.html   and put in your city to see what time sunset is. For Huntsville, it's one minute later than yesterday, so we've already bottomed out.

#2 Kevin Wx-Watcher

Kevin Wx-Watcher
  • Members
  • 1965 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 09:33 PM

If i'm not mistaken the actual peak is dec 21st. We just bottom out from now till then,even a few days after. Because the sun's eliptical path (in relation to earth) is flattening out in the tropic of capricorn, it will remain at that low point longer than its gradual increase and repeat the pattern again once its at the summer solstice. We shouldnt be heading back to the summer solstice till the 21st or 22nd, or a few days after.But thats just what i think/know,lol.

#3 SWL

SWL
  • 48644 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 09:38 PM

December 22nd is the shortest day this year. It is different(between the 21st and 23rd) each year.

#4 GJ

GJ
  • Members
  • 3520 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 09:02 AM

The point was that afternoons are already getting longer (though by a miniscule amount) even though the shortest day of the year is still a couple of weeks away.  

Kevin ... the tilt of the Earth on it's rotational axis is the reason for our change of seasons rather than the Earth's elliptical path around the sun (which is darn near circular and has little effect other than wider temperature swings in the southern hemisphere).

#5 Spore

Spore
  • Members
  • 1590 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 09:56 AM

Yes, as I posted the other day, the sun starts setting later today thru June, however the sun still rises later and later till around the 9th of Jan. Even though the shortest day is the 22nd, we gain 4 minutes of sunset and lose 10 minutes so still losing more than we gain.

#6 Mike

Mike
  • Members
  • 3343 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 10:00 AM

quote:

Originally posted by Spore:
still losing more than we gain.

Sounds like my bank account... LOL!!!

[ December 10, 2003: Message edited by: Mike ]

#7 pagan

pagan
  • Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 10:55 AM

Winter Solstice this year is supposed to occur at 1:03am CST December 22.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users