weather channel frustration.

21 replies to this topic

#1 3340skywatcher

3340skywatcher
  • Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

Maybe I missed something. What happened to the local on the 8s they are not even local anymore. And another thing these silly shows they have come up with are ridiculous. The weather channel is as good at providing weather information as CMT is at playing music....
Adopt, Foster, or sponsor  Posted Image http://www.graceanimalfoundation.com/

2014 backyard weather observations.
Warnings: Winter Storm (2),

Snowfall
January, 28- 2 inches
February, 13- 2 inches

RAINFALL;

Total for the Year:  11.89 inches

January: 1.54  inches
February: 4.21 inches
March: 1.70 inches
April: 4.44 inches

Temperature Extremes:

Lowest Recorded Temperature: 1 degree January 29th at 6:00 AM

Lowest Recorded Windchill: -15 degrees January 7th at 6:00 AM

Largest recorded continuous rainfall event
4.04 inches April 6th and 7th

#2 aarontabr

aarontabr
  • Banned
  • 10322 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

I've noticed that on my cable system as well.

#3 Luvmesomesnow

Luvmesomesnow
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

You don't get them very often when there is a big storm they are covering like Q.  It's all about the snow.  Hope that is central Al next weekend.

#4 KVW

KVW
  • Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

They are really only good for the live coverage during these storms,and Kelly Cass :D

#5 mwenzbauer

mwenzbauer
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

What happened to Storm Stories?  I don't think they've done any since 2009... a shame as it was probably one of their few truly weather related programs (almost all of their current programs suck and are only very loosely weather related).

#6 Stormlover

Stormlover
  • Members
  • 45840 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

View Postmwenzbauer, on 22 February 2013 - 12:29 AM, said:

What happened to Storm Stories?  I don't think they've done any since 2009... a shame as it was probably one of their few truly weather related programs (almost all of their current programs suck and are only very loosely weather related).
I wish they'd stop; all the documentary shows and just do WEATHER.

"To all the weather nuts out there I say go for it. The more ideas,the more people see the better it is. Diversity of info is a good thing.."In the weather and in everything let Freedom ring.When there is competition and Freedom the best answer will come to the top"..."There is no authority in the weather.Models can hit they can miss but its the wonderment of it all that is what this is all about"
-Joe Bastardi-Weatherbell Analytics

#7 locomusic01

locomusic01
  • Members
  • 1984 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

They used to have some fantastic documentaries. I loved "The Enemy Wind" and a few others.
Weather-related ramblings:
http://stormstalker.wordpress.com/

"You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment. Fools stand on their island of opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land; there is no other life but this."

#8 aarontabr

aarontabr
  • Banned
  • 10322 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

The local forecasts are back, for now.

#9 superjames1992

superjames1992
  • Members
  • 5820 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

TWC still does an okay job during big storms, but their regular coverage is pretty bad.  All of their shows suck and always have.  I'd rather than actually show the weather...

I do have to LOL when they show "stormcon", "snowcon", etc... :biggrin:
Winter 2013-2014
First Freeze: 10/26
Last Freeze: 4/17
First Snowfall: 11/12
First Measurable Snowfall: 1/21
Coldest Temperature: 4F
Wintry Events:
11/12 - T SN
11/26 - T ZR
11/27 - T SN
12/8 - Glaze of ZR
1/15 - T SN
1/21 - 0.5" SN
1/28 - 1.5" SN
2/10 - T SN
2/12-2/13 - 8.0" SN/IP, 0.10" ZR
3/3 - 0.5" SN/IP, T ZR
3/6-3/7 - 3.0" IP, 0.50" ZR
3/17 - 0.5" IP, 0.10" ZR
3/25 - T SN
3/30 - T SN

#10 GeorgiaGirl

GeorgiaGirl
  • Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

Storm Stories was awesome and I wish they had continued it. All of the other little "weather" shows sucked though.

#11 aarontabr

aarontabr
  • Banned
  • 10322 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

They could have done several Storm Stories episodes on 4/27 alone.

#12 barcncpt44

barcncpt44
  • Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:18 AM

I don't pay attention to The Weather Channel too much.  The only time I watch the channel is during major weather events.  Otherwise I avoid the channel like the plague!
Posted Image
A bland smile is like a green light at an intersection,
it feels good when you get one, but you forget it the moment you're past it.
-Doug Coupland

#13 tennessee storm chaser

tennessee storm chaser
  • Members
  • 1315 posts
  • Location:jackson, tennessee... home of 3 ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • CoCoRaHS ID:none
  • Radio Callsign:none

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

the only good thing i like about the weather channel is live severe storm coverage, with dr. greg forbes... when there is a outbreak going on. thats it

#14 Uncle Nasty

Uncle Nasty
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

My local on the 8's sometimes will do this also. I think it has something to do with the channel you are watching. When I have my tv on the HD channel the local on the 8's are only there about half the time. The other times it just shows regional maps like they show on satellite broadcasts such as Direct TV or Dish Network. When I switch to standard def the local on the 8's are always there. I think it has something to do with the information getting somehow scrambled on their HD broadcast, but I'm not sure why.  :shrug:
Mainly a lurker who will rarely post,

Uncle Nasty

#15 Moonhowl

Moonhowl
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

View PostKVW, on 21 February 2013 - 10:44 PM, said:

They are really only good for the live coverage during these storms,and Kelly Cass :D

The live coverage during storms is about the only reason I tune in now as well.  Totally shocked that haven't canned Kelly yet.  At one time I read a little about the lawsuit filed by Nicole Mitchell.  Certainly seems NBC management is nothing but people on a power/ego trip rather than people truely concerned about the product they put out.

Edited by Moonhowl, 25 February 2013 - 10:11 AM.

#16 Weatherlover92

Weatherlover92
  • Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

View PostUncle Nasty, on 25 February 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

My local on the 8's sometimes will do this also. I think it has something to do with the channel you are watching. When I have my tv on the HD channel the local on the 8's are only there about half the time. The other times it just shows regional maps like they show on satellite broadcasts such as Direct TV or Dish Network. When I switch to standard def the local on the 8's are always there. I think it has something to do with the information getting somehow scrambled on their HD broadcast, but I'm not sure why.  :shrug:

Not everyone who has TWCHD gets a local forecast yet (especially if you have Comcast like I do), only the national forecast like you said, but those who have it, it looks like this...

Edited by Weatherlover92, 25 February 2013 - 12:52 PM.

Winter of 2013 - 2014 in Review
Number of Snowstorms this winter --> 3
Number of Flurry Events --> 3
Number of Icestorms this Winter --> 1 (for Hartsfield Int'l, not imby)
Number of Sleetstorms this winter --> 1 (2/12/2014)
Total Snowfall Accumulations --> 4 inches (0.4 on 11/27/2013; 2.6 on 1/28/2014, 1.0 on 2/12-13, 2014)
Total Ice Accumulations --> 0.10 inches (estimated; accumulation unknown for Hartsfield Int'l atm)
Total Sleet Accumulations --> 2 inches

My Youtube Weather Page!

#17 KVW

KVW
  • Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Speaking of TWC,Jeff Morrow,former on camera met at TWC,is now a temporary fill in weather guy on WYFF channel 4,on the weekends!pretty cool. Greenville,SC

#18 Moonhowl

Moonhowl
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

View PostKVW, on 25 February 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

Speaking of TWC,Jeff Morrow,former on camera met at TWC,is now a temporary fill in weather guy on WYFF channel 4,on the weekends!pretty cool. Greenville,SC

I barely caught him on there last evening; good to see him on a local station.  He made the anchor woman look like a dwarf..

#19 aarontabr

aarontabr
  • Banned
  • 10322 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

I believe Kevin Robinson, a former TWC meteorologist is now one at WLWT Cincinatti.

#20 Uncle Nasty

Uncle Nasty
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

View PostWeatherlover92, on 25 February 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

Not everyone who has TWCHD gets a local forecast yet (especially if you have Comcast like I do), only the national forecast like you said, but those who have it, it looks like this...

Yea, I'm in Chattanooga and used to have Comcast. I switched over to EPB Fiber Optics a few years ago. For whatever reason in Hd my TWC in HD will mix it up. Lately we either get all the goodies or it wil give a complete, detailed forecast minus the text portion. The computer generated voice is there all the time though which gives the audible forecast.

Today the text has been there 100% of the time. What's weird is the extended temps and % for precip will vary a little betwen the HD and SD channels
Mainly a lurker who will rarely post,

Uncle Nasty

#21 3340skywatcher

3340skywatcher
  • Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

View PostUncle Nasty, on 25 February 2013 - 03:01 PM, said:

Yea, I'm in Chattanooga and used to have Comcast. I switched over to EPB Fiber Optics a few years ago. For whatever reason in Hd my TWC in HD will mix it up. Lately we either get all the goodies or it wil give a complete, detailed forecast minus the text portion. The computer generated voice is there all the time though which gives the audible forecast.

Today the text has been there 100% of the time. What's weird is the extended temps and % for precip will vary a little betwen the HD and SD channels
Im on dish and only get national forecast..... iv lost all respect for TWC this was the last straw.... there storm coverage is not enough to compensate for what has become lousy programming the rest of the time...

Edited by 3340skywatcher, 25 February 2013 - 11:46 PM.

Adopt, Foster, or sponsor  Posted Image http://www.graceanimalfoundation.com/

2014 backyard weather observations.
Warnings: Winter Storm (2),

Snowfall
January, 28- 2 inches
February, 13- 2 inches

RAINFALL;

Total for the Year:  11.89 inches

January: 1.54  inches
February: 4.21 inches
March: 1.70 inches
April: 4.44 inches

Temperature Extremes:

Lowest Recorded Temperature: 1 degree January 29th at 6:00 AM

Lowest Recorded Windchill: -15 degrees January 7th at 6:00 AM

Largest recorded continuous rainfall event
4.04 inches April 6th and 7th

#22 Stormlover

Stormlover
  • Members
  • 45840 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

we are clearly going to have a chance for off and on showers tomorrow, yet TWC has no mention of it here..their automated forecasts have sucked every since they started doing their own on the local forecasts on tv

"To all the weather nuts out there I say go for it. The more ideas,the more people see the better it is. Diversity of info is a good thing.."In the weather and in everything let Freedom ring.When there is competition and Freedom the best answer will come to the top"..."There is no authority in the weather.Models can hit they can miss but its the wonderment of it all that is what this is all about"
-Joe Bastardi-Weatherbell Analytics

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users