cotton region shelter

5 replies to this topic

#1 bobby_hamill

bobby_hamill
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:01 AM

if anyone is interested i have the specifications page and 7 pages of drawings for the National weather service standard model stevenson screen / cotton region shelter

also in the near future i should have a complete set of the national weather buerau Hazen thermometer shelter plans.  the hazen thermometer shelter was the earlyer model of the cotton region shelter that was bigger and had the fancy top to it

Bobby H

Edited by bobby_hamill, 16 April 2010 - 03:07 AM.

#2 wxtech

wxtech
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:41 PM

Bobby,
I have an NWS Coop station and a personal weather station.  I'm building a new personal station and wish to construct a Cotton Region shelter according to NWS specifications.
I have searched and can't access the NWS Operations Division, Engineering section to obtain a copy of the design.  Your help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Al

#3 Mason Dixon

Mason Dixon
  • Members
  • 1652 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:19 AM

I'm definitely interested. I have put off building a Stevenson screen all year....only have a little solo cup covering the thermometer now. I have seen some with little solar panels on the top of the screen that power a fan inside...is this something that would help to get more accurate readings?

#4 bobby_hamill

bobby_hamill
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:30 PM

send me your email and i can get them to you

the slats can be obtained by doing a search for a manufacture that makes plantation shutters. they will be glad to sell it to you by the linear foot.you will need to ask for the standard flat slat that is 1/4 inch thick 1 3/4 inches wide and that the edges be rounded . the rounded edge is called a "bullhead" edge.

If you need them you can purchase the min thermometer (alcohol) or the max thermometer (mercury)  and the sling psychrometer (mercury)from ...Kessler Thermometer Corp 631-841-5500. These are the exact same instruments the National Weather Service uses

hope this helps

bobby hamill

View PostMason Dixon, on 19 November 2010 - 09:19 AM, said:

I'm definitely interested. I have put off building a Stevenson screen all year....only have a little solo cup covering the thermometer now. I have seen some with little solar panels on the top of the screen that power a fan inside...is this something that would help to get more accurate readings?

#5 bobby_hamill

bobby_hamill
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:33 PM

you can email me at bobby_hamill@yahoo  (you know what)  com

View Postwxtech, on 18 November 2010 - 06:41 PM, said:

Bobby,
I have an NWS Coop station and a personal weather station.  I'm building a new personal station and wish to construct a Cotton Region shelter according to NWS specifications.
I have searched and can't access the NWS Operations Division, Engineering section to obtain a copy of the design.  Your help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Al

#6 bobby_hamill

bobby_hamill
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:58 AM

Mason

sorry in so long getting back to you . the fan powered by solar cells is used to aspirate the wet bulb thermometer inside the shelter. a flexible vent tube is pointed at the bulb of the wet bulb thermometer to aspirate it from the fan

Another good instrument to have is a " Piche Evaporimeter " it measures evaporation by a inverted glass tube filled with water soaking through a paper disk. That way you don't half to have the large metal tub filled with water and a measuring stick. link below

http://www.jjstech.com/m112067.html

Bobby H

View Postbobby_hamill, on 30 November 2010 - 07:30 PM, said:

send me your email and i can get them to you

the slats can be obtained by doing a search for a manufacture that makes plantation shutters. they will be glad to sell it to you by the linear foot.you will need to ask for the standard flat slat that is 1/4 inch thick 1 3/4 inches wide and that the edges be rounded . the rounded edge is called a "bullhead" edge.

If you need them you can purchase the min thermometer (alcohol) or the max thermometer (mercury)  and the sling psychrometer (mercury)from ...Kessler Thermometer Corp 631-841-5500. These are the exact same instruments the National Weather Service uses

hope this helps

bobby hamill

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users