ENGLAND WITH COASTAL LOW DEEPENING SLIGHTLY FURTHER OFFSHORE...BUT
THE 06 UTC GFS HAS BUCKED THAT TREND TO SOME DEGR
Things COULD get interesting...

#213 bingcrosbyb

bingcrosbyb
  • Members
  • 4230 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:37 AM

The setup is definitely starting to show up at the end of the 12z NAM range. Mid south may be in for a treat. As for now, looks like cold air chasing moisture here in the 'Ham.

Posted Image

Edited by bingcrosbyb, 25 January 2010 - 10:39 AM.

BIG MONEY WINTER 2013!

Posted Image

#214 TripleJ185

TripleJ185
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:42 AM

FFC touching on the possibility of some frozen precip late in the week (from Monday morning discussion):

.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY/...
THE NEXT SOUTHERN STREAM SYSTEM PLOWS INTO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA ON
TUESDAY. GLOBAL MODELS DIVERGE SOMEWHAT FROM THAT POINT ON WITH
THE FASTER GFS SHOWING THE SURFACE LOW REACHING GEORGIA THURSDAY
NIGHT AND THE SLOWER ECMWF DELAYING IT UNTIL FRIDAY NIGHT. THIS
FORECAST IS A COMPROMISE BETWEEN THOSE TWO SOLUTIONS. PRECIP
SHOULD BREAK OUT BY LATE THURSDAY AS ISENTROPIC ASCENT INCREASES
ACROSS A FRONTAL BOUNDARY STRETCHING ALONG THE I-85 CORRIDOR FROM
THE CAROLINAS TO ALABAMA. P-TYPE A BIT OF A CONCERN ACROSS FAR
NORTH GA WITH ONSET OF PRECIP TOWARD NIGHT FALL AND STRONG
SURFACE HIGH TO THE NORTHWEST PUSHING DRY SURFACE AIR IN FROM THE
N/NE. LOOKS LIKE THE ATL/AHN AREAS WILL SEE ALL RAIN UNTIL A
POSSIBLE MIX OR BRIEF CHANGEOVER TO -SN ON THE BACKSIDE PRIOR TO
PRECIP ENDING FRIDAY NIGHT. THE STRONG AND COOL HIGH TO OUR
NORTHWEST BUILDS INTO THE SOUTHEASTERN STATES NEXT WEEKEND.

RRH

#215 snowdog2009

snowdog2009
  • Members
  • 44 posts
  • Radio Callsign:kf4dew

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:58 AM

As of now i don't see any major ice from this next event for Chattanooga. Looks like the cold air is chasing the moisture.. JMO..

#216 brax

brax
  • Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Radio Callsign:KB4RAX

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:13 AM

from the 12zGFS

Posted Image

Posted Image
Braxton

SKYWARN Storm Spotter

View Postatlwx, on 10 January 2010 - 09:35 AM, said:

I love the way 1993 is the equivalent of saying "Voldemort" in the weather community!

All hail SD, harbinger of the Mega -NAO.

#217 bingcrosbyb

bingcrosbyb
  • Members
  • 4230 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:19 AM

Meh. Cold rain for AL/GA. Hits in Ark/Tn/Ky/Nc/Va. H5 just falls apart on the GFS and the secondary wave never develops.
BIG MONEY WINTER 2013!

Posted Image

#218 storm5

storm5
  • Members
  • 9376 posts
  • Radio Callsign:KK4JEZ

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:21 AM

Bing have any models shown the secondary wave develop?

#219 bingcrosbyb

bingcrosbyb
  • Members
  • 4230 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:26 AM

View Poststorm5, on 25 January 2010 - 11:21 AM, said:

Bing have any models shown the secondary wave develop?

06z DGEX hinted at the possibility. It's very rare for us to get snow from a frontal system this far south (I-20). I was hoping to see something develop on the GFS behind the main system.

Edited by bingcrosbyb, 25 January 2010 - 11:28 AM.

BIG MONEY WINTER 2013!

Posted Image

#220 ams30721us

ams30721us
  • Meteorologist
  • 3372 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:27 AM

View Postbingcrosbyb, on 25 January 2010 - 11:19 AM, said:

Meh. Cold rain for AL/GA. Hits in Ark/Tn/Ky/Nc/Va. H5 just falls apart on the GFS and the secondary wave never develops.
Actually extreme NW sections of GA and extreme Nrn Ala get in on frozen again this run....
Cedric Haynes
KLTV & KTRE Meteorologist
chaynes@kltv.com

#221 deltadog03

deltadog03
  • Meteorologist
  • 5597 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:06 PM

Another huge hit from lit-bna then most of NC.  I think we are going to have to deal with more wedging as we get into the coming days.
Chris
@@wxmanchris

#222 usagroup2001

usagroup2001
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:27 PM

Joe Bastardi on accuweather.com just stated that he thinks this is true arctic air that the models can't recognize the stregnth. He is prediciting more snow and more cold from Arkansas through DC.

#223 Brick Tamland

Brick Tamland
  • Members
  • 1562 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:33 PM

This is starting to look like a major storm for NC.

#224 iceman94

iceman94
  • Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:52 PM

WSW just posted for the OKC area:

* TIMING: THE MOST LIKELY TIME FOR HAZARDOUS WINTER WEATHER WILL
  BE FROM EARLY THURSDAY MORNING THROUGH EARLY FRIDAY MORNING.

* MAIN IMPACTS: FREEZING RAIN MAY BEGIN TO ACCUMULATE ON
  POWER LINES AND ELEVATED SURFACES DURING THE DAY THURSDAY. THE
  MOST LIKELY AREA FOR SIGNIFICANT ICE ACCUMULATIONS APPEARS TO BE
  ACROSS SOUTHERN OKLAHOMA AND PARTS OF WESTERN NORTH TEXAS. SLEET AND
  SNOW ACCUMULATIONS APPEAR MORE LIKELY ACROSS CENTRAL AND
  NORTHERN OKLAHOMA ALTHOUGH SOME FREEZING RAIN WILL BE POSSIBLE.

* OTHER IMPACTS: GUSTY NORTH AND NORTHEAST WINDS AROUND 25 TO 35
  MPH WILL ADD ADDITIONAL STRESS TO POWER LINES THAT HAVE ICE
  ACCUMULATIONS. SOME BLOWING AN DRIFTING OF SNOW WILL ALSO BE
  POSSIBLE.

#225 Memphis Weather

Memphis Weather
  • Members
  • 11484 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:52 PM

Any of you good model analysis folks (pro or otherwise)...

An interesting trend I noticed looking at Today's 12z GFS. Along the I-40 corridor in TN...the model holds temperatures steady at around 34 for about a 6 hour window between 10pm Thursday and 4am Friday. This happens at Memphis...Jackson...and Nashville. The verification of this is crucial for the eventual amount of winter weather in these areas...particularly Memphis. If verified...Memphis gets nothing more than a soaking 1.5" of cold rain...and some light icing and snow at the tail end. If the previous trend of continuing strong CAA verifies...you're looking at 1"+ of Freezing Rain and/or Sleet. In Jackson...its not as much of a difference maker...they still get nearly 1" of sleet and 2" of snow...but those hours do mean a difference in a significant period of Freezing Rain. Nashville isn't nearly as affected...mainly because of course...as with Jackson...the heaviest precip is moving in later with the cold air having become further established.

So my question is...what's the reason the GFS is doing this...and are any other models? Is it the developing low to the South (and associated WAA)...the arctic front stalling...the cold air/HP getting stalled to the North...any explicable reason at all? Obviously for me...a GFS verification of such a trend is critical between whether we have a nice looking glaze of icing or days or more worth of power outages. I realize we're still upwards of 100 hours out...so its a bit early to get be getting too caught up in this...but it really has me thinking....

Any thoughts? Its greatly appreciated...

#226 JBowling

JBowling
  • Members
  • 1076 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:10 PM

View PostBrick Tamland, on 25 January 2010 - 12:33 PM, said:

This is starting to look like a major storm for NC.

So major that WRAL isn't even mentioning it! "Insert Sarcasm".

#227 Ghost

Ghost
  • Members
  • 13343 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:12 PM

I will be driving from Florence Alabama to DeWitt Arkansas Thurs nite/Fri morning.. midnite to 5:00 a.m.  I know its early, but what driving conditions may I encounter in N MS and East Central Ark in the early morning hours Friday?
Psychologists say that a sense of humor and/or irony is the most reliable sign of intelligence

#228 Cyclogent

Cyclogent
  • Members
  • 3807 posts
  • Location:Ooltewah, TN (suburban Chattanooga) Elevation 1,050'

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:26 PM

View PostMemphis Weather, on 25 January 2010 - 12:52 PM, said:

An interesting trend I noticed looking at Today's 12z GFS. Along the I-40 corridor in TN...the model holds temperatures steady at around 34 for about a 6 hour window between 10pm Thursday and 4am Friday. This happens at Memphis...Jackson...and Nashville. The verification of this is crucial for the eventual amount of winter weather in these areas...particularly Memphis. If verified...Memphis gets nothing more than a soaking 1.5" of cold rain...and some light icing and snow at the tail end. If the previous trend of continuing strong CAA verifies...you're looking at 1"+ of Freezing Rain and/or Sleet. In Jackson...its not as much of a difference maker...they still get nearly 1" of sleet and 2" of snow...but those hours do mean a difference in a significant period of Freezing Rain. Nashville isn't nearly as affected...mainly because of course...as with Jackson...the heaviest precip is moving in later with the cold air having become further established.

So my question is...what's the reason the GFS is doing this...and are any other models? Is it the developing low to the South (and associated WAA)...the arctic front stalling...the cold air/HP getting stalled to the North...any explicable reason at all? Obviously for me...a GFS verification of such a trend is critical between whether we have a nice looking glaze of icing or days or more worth of power outages. I realize we're still upwards of 100 hours out...so its a bit early to get be getting too caught up in this...but it really has me thinking....

The GFS may be struggling with the dynamic cooling provided by the upper level forcing, or may be seeing more WAA (which would make some sense with the huge amount of QPF it is showing)  
But if snow is the P-type the surface temp will tend to drop to 32. It's a tricky model and I have found (the hard way) it's not very good resolving p-types.  The SREF may be the way to go when it gets in range.
Winter Snowfall Totals
2009-10 - 11.3"
2010-11 - 14.7"
2011-12 - FAIL
2012-13 - 1.0"
2013-14 - 10.9"
2014-15 - ?

Winter 2014-15 events
11/01/2014 - trace
11/17/2014 - trace
11/18/2014 - trace

Coldest Temp:  18F

#229 Memphis Weather

Memphis Weather
  • Members
  • 11484 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:34 PM

View PostGhost, on 25 January 2010 - 01:12 PM, said:

I will be driving from Florence Alabama to DeWitt Arkansas Thurs nite/Fri morning.. midnite to 5:00 a.m. I know its early, but what driving conditions may I encounter in N MS and East Central Ark in the early morning hours Friday?

Why in the world are people giving him negative points for his post? Come on people...

Anyway...Ghost...Its iffy over that area whether it gets cold enough for anything other than rain by that point. Still...I would be making plans to adjust for possible icy conditions...and just keep a very close watch on the forecasts the next few days.

View PostCyclogent, on 25 January 2010 - 01:26 PM, said:

The GFS may be struggling with the dynamic cooling provided by the upper level forcing, or may be seeing more WAA (which would make some sense with the huge amount of QPF it is showing)
But if snow is the P-type the surface temp will tend to drop to 32. It's a tricky model and I have found (the hard way) it's not very good resolving p-types. The SREF may be the way to go when it gets in range.

Yeah...this is a tough situation for the models to resolve...especially the GFS. I've seen cases where temperatures in heavy QPF can hold steady...especially in more ice scenarios...because of the warm nose aloft. I do notice in this situation there is a below freezing layer from about 500-1800ft...most of the cases I saw where temperatures held steady or even rose was with temperatures jumping well above freezing...even to the 40s and 50s...as low as 1000 feet...

Thanks though for the input...

#230 iceman94

iceman94
  • Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:41 PM

Kevin, I know during last years ice storm the temp in Jonesboro held at 31-32 degrees during the majority of the event.

#231 Cyclogent

Cyclogent
  • Members
  • 3807 posts
  • Location:Ooltewah, TN (suburban Chattanooga) Elevation 1,050'

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:49 PM

View PostMemphis Weather, on 25 January 2010 - 01:34 PM, said:

Yeah...this is a tough situation for the models to resolve...especially the GFS. I've seen cases where temperatures in heavy QPF can hold steady...especially in more ice scenarios...because of the warm nose aloft. I do notice in this situation there is a below freezing layer from about 500-1800ft...most of the cases I saw where temperatures held steady or even rose was with temperatures jumping well above freezing...even to the 40s and 50s...as low as 1000 feet...

Thanks though for the input...

Yup an interesting storm indeed.  I can see that some areas may even get 5 different p-types over the course of the storm - rain, freezing rain, sleet, snow, and hail.  I am liking the elevated convection possibilities.  The divergence aloft with this setup is, needless to say, impressive...check out the right rear quad entrance region of the upper jet.  I like saying that word...divergence.  Lots of QPF in some form of fashion, no doubt about that.  :D  

Posted Image
Winter Snowfall Totals
2009-10 - 11.3"
2010-11 - 14.7"
2011-12 - FAIL
2012-13 - 1.0"
2013-14 - 10.9"
2014-15 - ?

Winter 2014-15 events
11/01/2014 - trace
11/17/2014 - trace
11/18/2014 - trace

Coldest Temp:  18F

#232 Memphis Weather

Memphis Weather
  • Members
  • 11484 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:51 PM

Wow...very impressive!

#233 Harlequhn_Boy

Harlequhn_Boy
  • Members
  • 1353 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:51 PM

View Posticeman94, on 25 January 2010 - 01:41 PM, said:

Kevin, I know during last years ice storm the temp in Jonesboro held at 31-32 degrees during the majority of the event.

How bad did it get in Jonesboro with the ice storm last year? I never really heard much from there, I just know it was devastating further north.

As for this event, I wish there was more consensus...

#234 SD

SD
  • Members
  • 10253 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:55 PM

View PostMemphis Weather, on 25 January 2010 - 12:52 PM, said:

Im at work so I dont have alot of time to dig through things but it might be the dreaded warm rain process. I know atleast here its going to take alot of constant CAA through this event to defeat the 850s that will be warmer than what is climotologically usual for an icestorm
"Ill take my bullseye and run with it. You superstitious suckers to the west will be frowning 6 days from now" -Myself Jan 23 2014

#235 SD

SD
  • Members
  • 10253 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:04 PM

With the 12z Euro trending colder again for my area my concern level is raised. This could be quite the freezing rain hit for a good portion of western and central NC. With a couple of inches of sleet and a nice topping of snow.
"Ill take my bullseye and run with it. You superstitious suckers to the west will be frowning 6 days from now" -Myself Jan 23 2014

#236 brax

brax
  • Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Radio Callsign:KB4RAX

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:06 PM

The Canadian has a very similar look to it in the regards of cold air location and precip. One major difference though is that it is showing a low forming in the gulf, whereas the GFS does not. The Canadian *may* try to bring the cold air in a tiny bit faster, hard to tell though.

There is also a low AND a high off the coast of NY that don't show up on the GFS.... To me it seems there's not enough agreement on those factors to say that we are or aren't going to get anything special... Looks like we'll just have to keep waiting.

Canadian:
Posted Image

GFS:
Posted Image
Braxton

SKYWARN Storm Spotter

View Postatlwx, on 10 January 2010 - 09:35 AM, said:

I love the way 1993 is the equivalent of saying "Voldemort" in the weather community!

All hail SD, harbinger of the Mega -NAO.

#237 ams30721us

ams30721us
  • Meteorologist
  • 3372 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:07 PM

12z Euro trended colder for several people....its farther south with low track and 850s and 32' freeze line at surface run from NC down through NW GA through Northern Alabama and N/C Miss... from Friday evening on....with Precip across the Southeast...
Cedric Haynes
chaynes@kltv.com

#238 Memphis Weather

Memphis Weather
  • Members
  • 11484 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:09 PM

View PostSD, on 25 January 2010 - 01:55 PM, said:

Im at work so I dont have alot of time to dig through things but it might be the dreaded warm rain process. I know atleast here its going to take alot of constant CAA through this event to defeat the 850s that will be warmer than what is climotologically usual for an icestorm
That's what so interesting about it over here...and I won't pressure you for a response...but just as a note...

Soundings show 850 temperatures only warming to about 2.5 to 3C...and that's about the warmest of any above freezing layer. In the top-down methods...that's really only marginal for fully melting a falling snowflake. But...the above freezing layer is pretty thick...from about 675mb to 925mb...so that should be sufficient to melt into rain there. Then below that you get a good bit below freezing again...down to -2C and the freezing level to 500-700ft...then just above freezing below. That doesn't really strike me as a big warm rain process ongoing with such a below freezing layer remaining...but perhaps I'm reading into it wrong...

Edited by Memphis Weather, 25 January 2010 - 02:10 PM.

#239 ams30721us

ams30721us
  • Meteorologist
  • 3372 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:26 PM

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION
NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD
133 PM EST MON JAN 25 2010

VALID 12Z THU JAN 28 2010 - 12Z MON FEB 01 2010

...MAJOR WINTER STORM POTENTIAL ACROSS THE MID-SRN US TIER
STATES...

TELECONNECTIONS WITH A NEGATIVE HEIGHT ANOMALY NEAR 50N 150W FAVOR
RIDGING ALOFT DOWNSTREAM FROM WRN CANADA INTO THE WRN US...DEEP
COLD TROUGHING DUG DOWN FROM CANADA INTO THE EAST-CENTRAL US...AND
AN ACTIVE SOUTHERN BRANCH OF THE JET CUTTING UNDERNEATH THROUGH
THE US SRN TIER STATES.  THIS FLOW AND EVEN WITH GUIDANCE BRINGING
ERN PACIFIC TROUGH ENERGY ALOFT INCREASINGLY INLAND ACROSS THE
WEST-CENTRAL US BY NEXT WEEKEND...THE MODELS AND ENSEMBLES AGREE
ON THESE IDEAS AND FOR THE MOST PART FORECAST CONFIDENCE IS ABOVE
NORMAL DAYS 3-7 DESPITE SMALLER SCALE DETAIL VARIANCE.  

HOWEVER...THE 00Z GFS/UKMET AND TO A LESSER EXTENT 00Z GFS
ENSEMBLES GENERALLY OUTPACE THE REMAINDER OF DETERMINISTIC AND
ENSEMBLE MEAN GUIDANCE.  WITH SOLUTIONS OVERALL ON THE FAST EDGE
OF THE FULL ARRAY OF MODEL AND ENSEMBLE SOLUTIONS...THE 00Z
GFS/UKMET WERE CONSIDERED PLAUSIBLE BUT LESS LIKELY OPTIONS. OF
THE REMAINING GUIDANCE...THE 00Z ECMWF/CANADIAN HAVE KEPT BETTER
DAY-TO-DAY CONTINUITY OVER THE PAST FEW DAYS WITH SYSTEM TIMING
AND GENERAL TRACK...CLUSTERING CLOSELY WITH THE BULK OF ENSEMBLE
MEMBER GUIDANCE. DUE TO THEIR GOOD CONTINUITY AND FAVORABLE
ENSEMBLE SUPPORT/LOW SPREAD...FINAL HPC MEDIUM RANGE GUIDANCE
MAINTAINS CLOSE CONTINUITY AND REMAINS PRIMARILY DERIVED FROM A
BLEND OF THE 00Z ECMWF/CANADIAN...A SOLUTION CLUSTER NOW GENERALLY
JOINED BY THE 06Z GFS AND MUCH 12Z GUIDANCE.

[b]IN THIS PATTERN...THERE IS A MAJOR THREAT FOR HEAVY GULF COAST
STATES PCPN WITH A PRONOUNCED SWATH OF SIGNIFICANT HEAVY SNOW/ICE
FURTHER INLAND AS SRN STREAM SYSTEM ENERGY PROGRESSES UNDERNEATH
SOUTHWARD SUNK NRN STREAM COLD AIR.  THE MAIN WINTER THREAT SEEMS
TO FOCUS OVERTOP LOW PASSAGE SPREADING THU-SAT FROM THE SRN PLAINS
TO THE MID-LOWER MS AND TN/OH VALLEYS THEN SOUTH-CENTRAL
APPALACHIANS/MID-ATLANTIC STATES.[/
b] 00Z GUIDANCE TRENDS AND
INCREASED FLOW SEPARATION BETWEEN THE POLAR VORTEX AND THE SYSTEM
MOVING THROUGH THE SRN AND ERN US DECREASED SUBSEQUENT HEAVY SNOW
THREAT FOR NEW ENGLAND WITH COASTAL LOW DEEPENING SLIGHTLY FURTHER
OFFSHORE.  HOWEVER...06/12Z GUIDANCE HAS TO SOME DEGREE REVERSED
THAT TREND AS PER MORE WINTERY PCPN INLAND ON THE NW PERIPHERY OF
THE WRAP-BACK PCPN SHIELD ACROSS THE MID-ATLANTIC AND SE NEW
ENG...ALBEIT WITH THE 12Z UKMET/ECMWF SLIGHTLY LESS PROGRESSIVE.
THIS HIGHLIGHTS LINGERING MODEL RUN TO RUN SENSITIVITY WITH LESS
PREDICTABLE SMALLER SCALE COMPONENTS AND INTERACTIONS THAT MAY NOT
BE RESOLVED UNTIL SHORT RANGE TIME SCALES.

ROTH/SCHICHTEL
Cedric Haynes
chaynes@kltv.com

#240 Brick Tamland

Brick Tamland
  • Members
  • 1562 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:29 PM

View PostJBowling, on 25 January 2010 - 01:10 PM, said:

So major that WRAL isn't even mentioning it! "Insert Sarcasm".
Kind of ironic that they have a story on their website now about the record snow ten years ago and how they missed that one.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users