140 replies to this topic

#31 Stormlover

Stormlover
  • Members
  • 45661 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:14 PM

this had NOTHING to do with the new ownership

Just when you think it's over, it get's more curious eusa_think.gif

"To all the weather nuts out there I say go for it. The more ideas,the more people see the better it is. Diversity of info is a good thing.."In the weather and in everything let Freedom ring.When there is competition and Freedom the best answer will come to the top"..."There is no authority in the weather.Models can hit they can miss but its the wonderment of it all that is what this is all about"
-Joe Bastardi-Weatherbell Analytics

#32 PerryW

PerryW
  • Members
  • 4402 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (auburn2005 @ Apr 1 2008, 12:19 am) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He must have screwed up big time to get fired if that is what happened. Nobody gets fired for nothing.

LOL.....I once got fired because the big boss was ticked off at my father; I did absolutely nothing wrong.   My dad quit his job as security supervisor;  told off the area security manager in the process, who in turn fired me to spite my dad.   My brother in law was once terminated from a computer consultant position because the newly promoted CEO was the son of the just retired CEO who had disagreements with my bro-in-law but possessed the common sense to realize Dave was the best employee he had; his son lacked the same common sense......fired my bro in law.....then ran the company into the ground within 6 months (just as David said he would).  The only thing wrong my sister's hubby did was standing up for the right thing; not agreeing to "cutting corners" to clients who trusted him and his integrity.

In a lot of careers (tv weather forecasting included), office politics can be just as deadly to your employment status as being arrested for stealing company property.

Edited by PerryW, 01 April 2008 - 09:55 PM.

#33 AlabamaStormTracker

AlabamaStormTracker
  • Members
  • 9862 posts
  • Radio Callsign:WX4BMX

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE (Stormlover @ Apr 1 2008, 9:14 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just when you think it's over, it get's more curious eusa_think.gif

You all will know much more very soon I'm sure.....

#34 johnnyreb571

johnnyreb571
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:01 AM

QUOTE (AlabamaStormTracker @ Apr 1 2008, 10:11 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You all will know much more very soon I'm sure.....

I sure hope so.  My curiousity is getting the best of me something aweful  icon_rolleyes.gif

#35 acral

acral
  • Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:39 PM

C'mon, out with it.. from what little I have heard down here, there was nothing wrong on Dave's part...
http://www.wootaah.blogspot.com - Since 2006 - Tropical storm and weather information concerning the Gulf Shores and Orange Beach areas.

NWS SKYWARN Spotter
Fox10 StormTracker
ABC 33/40 SkyWatcher

#36 Spore

Spore
  • Members
  • 1590 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE (DOMweathergirl @ Mar 31 2008, 2:57 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah - someone told me THAT rumor this past weekend too and I raised my eyebrows at that.  Doubtful!

Easily verifyable if someone wanted to go to the trouble, if it is the same one I was told from a sales person at a local radio station.

#37 SWL

SWL
  • 48456 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (acral @ Apr 2 2008, 3:39 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
C'mon, out with it.. from what little I have heard down here, there was nothing wrong on Dave's part...

Yeah, I REALLY wish someone would just spill it already. This beating around the bush is getting old.

#38 wxman007

wxman007
  • Meteorologist
  • 319 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (SWL @ Apr 2 2008, 11:25 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I REALLY wish someone would just spill it already. This beating around the bush is getting old.

At this point, it's not ours to spill.  There are two parties than can...one is not going to, and the other is not ready to.
Jason Kelley, KC5JEA
Meteorologist
WBRC-TV/DT, Birmingham, AL

#39 AlabamaStormTracker

AlabamaStormTracker
  • Members
  • 9862 posts
  • Radio Callsign:WX4BMX

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (wxman007 @ Apr 2 2008, 6:48 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At this point, it's not ours to spill.  There are two parties than can...one is not going to, and the other is not ready to.

Exactly.....when he is ready he will either come and tell his story or the message will get relayed.

#40 bigjon32983

bigjon32983
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE (AlabamaStormTracker @ Apr 2 2008, 7:03 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly.....when he is ready he will either come and tell his story or the message will get relayed.

i vote for relaying the message!

#41 PerryW

PerryW
  • Members
  • 4402 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE (SWL @ Apr 2 2008, 6:25 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Take it from someone who knows....losing your job, whether due to your own fault or not is a very stressful and traumatic situation.   I've been fired twice in my life....once it was my fault, the other time wasn't; but both times it caused a lot of worry and stress.   It's also something most folks don't care to discuss in public; I kept my firings secret from nearly everyone at the time, even some family members and close friends.   Both of my terminations occurred over 20 years ago; I wouldn't have ever admitted it or discussed the reasons why in public for years afterwords; not only because losing my job was humiliating.......but also because it was something I considered private......not something I wanted others to judge or gossip about.

IMO David Neal deserves the exact same privacy that I did.......that everyone IMO does.   I don't have a clue to what happened at Fox 6 or why, but I wish David and his family the very, very best.......and would be both honored and thrilled should he accept a meteorologist position here in Atlanta.

#42 Stormlover

Stormlover
  • Members
  • 45661 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE (PerryW @ Apr 2 2008, 7:14 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Take it from someone who knows....losing your job, whether due to your own fault or not is a very stressful and traumatic situation.   I've been fired twice in my life....once it was my fault, the other time wasn't; but both times it caused a lot of worry and stress.   It's also something most folks don't care to discuss in public; I kept my firings secret from nearly everyone at the time, even some family members and close friends.   Both of my terminations occurred over 20 years ago; I wouldn't have ever admitted it or discussed the reasons why in public for years afterwords; not only because losing my job was humiliating.......but also because it was something I considered private......not something I wanted others to judge or gossip about.

IMO David Neal deserves the exact same privacy that I did.......that everyone IMO does.   I don't have a clue to what happened at Fox 6 or why, but I wish David and his family the very, very best.......and would be both honored and thrilled should he accept a meteorologist position here in Atlanta.

I understand what you are saying Perry, BUT it IS different when you are a pubic figure,such as a TV personality.It is to be expected when you are in that type of business that the public will have a much larger interest, especially when you are a part of their lives,in a sense, everyday, and especially again,if you are a weather buff and a change has occured at a station in the largest market in the state. We've already been through whether this was an appropriate topic or not and it was stated that it was by the admin(s). I think most people, once they gone into middle age at least, have been fired, layed off, forced out,something,and most people understand that and don't think the worst,whatever that is, but it's only natural to be curious, especially after it's drug on this long with speculation.

Edited by Stormlover, 02 April 2008 - 08:08 PM.

"To all the weather nuts out there I say go for it. The more ideas,the more people see the better it is. Diversity of info is a good thing.."In the weather and in everything let Freedom ring.When there is competition and Freedom the best answer will come to the top"..."There is no authority in the weather.Models can hit they can miss but its the wonderment of it all that is what this is all about"

#43 Argus

Argus
  • Members
  • 4586 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:23 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080402/ap_en_tv/anchor_purge

2012-2013 Winter Storm Avoidance Record: 12-11-3

2013 MCS Events:  Ardra 4/17  Buzzsaw 5/11  Cyclonus 5/17 (Alabama)  Destro, Eris 5/18-5/19, Frink, Gor 6/7, "L3" Honorary 6/9  Hoist 6/11 (fell apart)  Irona 6/13  Joachim 6/18 Klaa 6/27 (Alabama)

Disclaimer:   Opinions that I ask on TW may requested by my employer for the purpose of the California gal's travels. as well as my co-workers.   Any travel advice that I chose to accept, is my responsibility. Opinions of posters that post on TW that act as "canaries in the coal mine, will be regarded more seriously.  

Though my Facebook account says that I am a meteorologist, I am not officially one.   However, my purpose at my employer is to monitor weather events, for the purposes listed above.   .  

Argus and Brittany on Twitter, and we may be o.

My Facebook account

Brit's Facebook, where she dishes the dirt on what we're doing.

Captain Brittany, Brit's Virtual Counterpart

#44 phantom

phantom
  • Meteorologist
  • 1618 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:30 PM

Maybe Dan Satterfield is going to BHM and JP Dice is going to be chief at WHNT.  They are owned by the same group.

(just thinking out loud)

#45 StormStalker

StormStalker
  • Members
  • 9531 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE (phantom @ Apr 2 2008, 10:30 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe Dan Satterfield is going to BHM and JP Dice is going to be chief at WHNT.  They are owned by the same group.

(just thinking out loud)

You'd like that wouldn't you. icon_wink.gif
I saw my first wall cloud on March 31, 2006 in Florence, Al around 5:15 p.m.

University of North Alabama
ROAR LIONS
!

Class of 2009

#46 wxman007

wxman007
  • Meteorologist
  • 319 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE (phantom @ Apr 3 2008, 3:30 am) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(just thinking out loud)

Possible, certainly, but I don't see that happening.  Dan is really happy at HNT...I am not sure he would want to move (not speaking for him, mind you, but from past conversations with him).  It certainly wouldn't shock me, but one thing you have to remember, the sale is NOT complete, so it would NOT be a transfer as such.  Fox, as of today, still owns WBRC.

Wouldn't shock me to see JP at WBRC either.
Jason Kelley, KC5JEA
Meteorologist

#47 Stormlover

Stormlover
  • Members
  • 45661 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE (phantom @ Apr 2 2008, 10:30 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(just thinking out loud)

Dan has a sweetheart deal at 19 and plans to retire from there when his long term contract is up,and do other things like maybe consulting work,maybe even move to Europe...2012 I think...at least that's what I heard from a source.

Edited by Stormlover, 02 April 2008 - 11:29 PM.

#48 Argus

Argus
  • Members
  • 4586 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:44 AM

Not to change the subject, but I haven't seen Gene Norman on CBS 46 in Atlanta in a while.   Seems Dagmar Midcap's been doing the weather in the evenings lately.
2012-2013 Winter Storm Avoidance Record: 12-11-3

2013 MCS Events:  Ardra 4/17  Buzzsaw 5/11  Cyclonus 5/17 (Alabama)  Destro, Eris 5/18-5/19, Frink, Gor 6/7, "L3" Honorary 6/9  Hoist 6/11 (fell apart)  Irona 6/13  Joachim 6/18 Klaa 6/27 (Alabama)

Disclaimer:   Opinions that I ask on TW may requested by my employer for the purpose of the California gal's travels. as well as my co-workers.   Any travel advice that I chose to accept, is my responsibility. Opinions of posters that post on TW that act as "canaries in the coal mine, will be regarded more seriously.  

Though my Facebook account says that I am a meteorologist, I am not officially one.   However, my purpose at my employer is to monitor weather events, for the purposes listed above.   .  

Argus and Brittany on Twitter, and we may be o.

My Facebook account

Brit's Facebook, where she dishes the dirt on what we're doing.

Captain Brittany, Brit's Virtual Counterpart

#49 NO_WAA

NO_WAA
  • Members
  • 5821 posts
  • CoCoRaHS ID:GA-GW-15

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:16 AM

QUOTE (Argus @ Apr 3 2008, 7:44 am) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not to change the subject, but I haven't seen Gene Norman on CBS 46 in Atlanta in a while.   Seems Dagmar Midcap's been doing the weather in the evenings lately.

I've noticed the same, especially the Dagmar part. icon_cool.gif

#50 DOMweathergirl

DOMweathergirl
  • Members
  • 7067 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:32 AM

I noticed last night on Fox 6 when they showed the weather team - Neal's picture was gone.  Last week, the picture still had him in it.    First time I've noticed his picture not being there.  Just thought I'd mention that and see if anyone else noticed it.

#51 Guest_duckfetchr_*

Guest_duckfetchr_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE (DOMweathergirl @ Apr 3 2008, 8:32 am) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I noticed last night on Fox 6 when they showed the weather team - Neal's picture was gone.  Last week, the picture still had him in it.    First time I've noticed his picture not being there.  Just thought I'd mention that and see if anyone else noticed it.

Yep

#52 Fred Gossage

Fred Gossage
  • Members
  • 4589 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE (NO_WAA @ Apr 3 2008, 8:16 am) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've noticed the same, especially the Dagmar part. icon_cool.gif

Again, not to change the whole subject of the thread here..... but I heard he had gone to Houston..... to take the place of a retiring met there....but I'm not sure.

#53 wxman007

wxman007
  • Meteorologist
  • 319 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (Fred Gossage @ Apr 3 2008, 4:14 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Again, not to change the whole subject of the thread here..... but I heard he had gone to Houston..... to take the place of a retiring met there....but I'm not sure.

You are correct...He replaced Neil Frank at KHOU in Houston.
Jason Kelley, KC5JEA
Meteorologist

#54 LetItSnow

LetItSnow
  • Members
  • 891 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:31 PM

He is definitely gone.  Now Fox6 basically has no weather department so I won't be watching them at all.  I wish David would stay in our market, but from what I understand, he might be knee deep in snow next winter.

Edit..Thanks, Fred, for the clarification.  I misunderstood.  I guess the SATs are getting to me!

Edited by LetItSnow, 03 April 2008 - 05:10 PM.

My Favorite Meteorologist's Blog

Richard Robertson's Gospel Music Ministry

"Never be too proud to get down on your knees and pray."    - Paul "Bear" Bryant

#55 Fred Gossage

Fred Gossage
  • Members
  • 4589 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:32 PM

Sorry if there was confusion... but that was all in response to a question on the first page about a chief met that left the CBS affiliate in Atlanta. Sorry if there was a mixup......

#56 Janet H

Janet H
  • Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:06 AM

Was looking up some stuff and guess were i found a link to talkweather from
http://www.aldeer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.c...c;f=30;t=002180

#57 Jack Watkins

Jack Watkins
  • TalkWeather Administrator
  • 15074 posts
  • CoCoRaHS ID:AL-SH-1

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:57 AM

QUOTE (Janet H @ Apr 4 2008, 7:06 am) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That might be a part of the reason we've had 46 new members sign up since March 27th (welcome all BTW)..

#58 Peter

Peter
  • Members
  • 4548 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE (Janet H @ Apr 4 2008, 7:06 am) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought "Clem" was exaggerating a bit.

Bill Bolen doesn't look a day over 300 years old!

#59 copasetic

copasetic
  • Technical Administrator
  • 5380 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:20 AM

I read those posts on ALDEER a couple of nights ago. I'm sorry but those are some brain challenged individuals there.

Edited by copasetic, 04 April 2008 - 10:21 AM.

#60 NathansGal

NathansGal
  • 22431 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (copasetic @ Apr 4 2008, 10:20 am) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read those posts on ALDEER a couple of nights ago. I'm sorry but those are some brain challenged individuals there.

I'm wondering if TW was the weather geek forum they were referring to? It doesn't insult us; we're the ones that started the term "weather geeks" anyway...nananana!!

Lori
Proud Memaw
Skywarn Storm Spotter
ALERT Member

Romans 8:38-39
For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

"In a gentle way you can shake the world." (Gandhi)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users