Foods to Eat After Stomach Virus or Food Poisoning

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Ghost

Ghost
  • Members
  • 13184 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:50 PM

Last nite I either had a stomach virus or food poisoning.  My digestive system is essentially empty now.  I'm not hungry but I'm also not nauseated anymore.  I am very weak and only want to sleep all the time.  I know I need to start trying to get some food back in my system (I've been drinking fluids to avoid dehydration).  What kinds of foods are best to begin with after your digestive system has been thru this?
Psychologists say that a sense of humor and/or irony is the most reliable sign of intelligence

#2 Summer Girl

Summer Girl
  • Members
  • 3954 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:53 PM

I usually eat some plain loaf bread. It is bland, but it works for me.
Jessica, RN

#3 WBB

WBB
  • Members
  • 9170 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 05:00 PM

The good old BRATS diet:  Bananas, Applesauce, Rice, Toast, Soup.  Anything bland is fine.

#4 Ghost

Ghost
  • Members
  • 13184 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 05:07 PM

Thanks SummerGirl and WBB... looks like I need to drag myself out to the groc store for some of these staples... I have nibbled on a couple of multi-grain crackers so far.
Psychologists say that a sense of humor and/or irony is the most reliable sign of intelligence

#5 Chesby05

Chesby05
  • Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 06:44 PM

There's also something to be said for listening out to your body if you have any cravings - because these will usually result from some kind of deficiency, and your body telling you that you need to eat a particular food.  If it's Burger King or something, then I wouldn't pay too much attention to it (lol) but if for some reason you are craving orange juice by the carton, then go for it.

An old remedy of my Mum's which always works is lemonade with a bit of the fizz taken out.  Not completely flat, but not too fizzy, either.  I have no idea what the scientific basis for this is, but it always used to make us feel better as kids!!  Hehehe
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals - Mahatma Ghandi

#6 Ghost

Ghost
  • Members
  • 13184 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (Chesby05 @ Dec 23 2007, 5:44 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
An old remedy of my Mum's which always works is lemonade with a bit of the fizz taken out.  Not completely flat, but not too fizzy, either.  I have no idea what the scientific basis for this is, but it always used to make us feel better as kids!!  Hehehe

Yeah... me mum wanted to make sure that I had some Sprite or 7Up to drink.. so there must be some correlation between mum's and lemon-lime drinks for sicknesses.   icon_smile.gif

Glad you didnt recommend Vegemite!   eusa_sick.gif

#7 Chesby05

Chesby05
  • Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 07:05 PM

Lol!  You know it's funny - Vegemite probably would make you feel quite good, it's got lots of salt and vitamin B in it.  I know I would LOVE some toast and vegemite if I had an upset stomach.  

I take it you've tried it before and it was not quite, er, to your liking?? icon_lol.gif

On the cat forum I am on we do a Secret Santa every year.  Last year I sent some vegemite to a member who lives in Missouri - I told her she didn't have to eat it but it can make a lovely base for soups and casseroles etc, which is what she uses it for.  I think unless you've been raised on it the taste could just be VERY overpowering.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals - Mahatma Ghandi

#8 BlountWolf

BlountWolf
  • Members
  • 30056 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 07:31 PM

There's lemonade with fizz in Australia? Most if not all of what we call lemonade around here is non-carbonated - made with lemon juice, sugar, and water.

Edited by BlountWolf, 23 December 2007 - 07:32 PM.

#9 Chesby05

Chesby05
  • Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 07:35 PM

Ahhhh of course.  Yes, in Australia `lemonade' I guess is the same thing as your Sprite - but just not quite as sweet.  You can get Sprite here, too, but I don't really like it.  

There is a marketed brand of `traditional' lemonade but that's more like lemon-flavoured Sprite.  Or lemon squash, we call it here.  Still fizzy.  

If you gave a kid here your type of lemonade they would be like `waaaahhh - that's lemon cordial!!'.  Sigh.  icon_rolleyes.gif

#10 DLamb

DLamb
  • Meteorologist
  • 17886 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (Chesby05 @ Dec 23 2007, 6:35 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ahhhh of course.  Yes, in Australia `lemonade' I guess is the same thing as your Sprite - but just not quite as sweet.  You can get Sprite here, too, but I don't really like it.  

There is a marketed brand of `traditional' lemonade but that's more like lemon-flavoured Sprite.  Or lemon squash, we call it here.  Still fizzy.  

If you gave a kid here your type of lemonade they would be like `waaaahhh - that's lemon cordial!!'.  Sigh.  icon_rolleyes.gif

Ha! I always enjoy getting little bits of knowledge like that about other countries. Thanks for teaching us something new.

Oh and Ghost, I hope you get back up to par soon.

#11 ict1523

ict1523
  • Members
  • 2357 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 08:50 PM

I love baked potato with nothing but lots of salt after a stomach ache. Lots of Ginger Ale and Gatorade for hydration too.

My last stomach virus left me puking 17 times in a day. The next 2-3 days were PAINFUL...hell it hurt to sleep...I would be waking up like every hour with my back or side killing me...
Obs for Kew Gardens, Queens, NYC
Snowfall Total for 04-05 Season: 42.8"
Snowfall Total for 05-06 Season: 38.1"
Snowfall Total for 06-07 Season: 16.3"
Snowfall Total for 07-08 Season: 11.3"
Rainiest Month Ever: 17.61" October 2005
2nd Rainiest Day In History: 7.02" (home), 7.57" (Central Park), April 15, 2007
Greatest Snowstorm Ever: 26.0" February 11-12, 2006
1000 Posts Reached On: Jan. 1, 2006
2000 Posts Reached On: Feb. 19, 2007

#12 DestinNative

DestinNative
  • Members
  • 657 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:07 PM

chicken broth & crackers
I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
George Burns

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. Herm Albright

#13 RTRwx

RTRwx
  • Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:14 PM

Saltine crackers are always good, followed by an Australian lemonade (Sprite)! HAHA.....get well Ghost!

Edited by RTRwx, 23 December 2007 - 09:14 PM.

This day in time, common sense is not all that common.

#14 NO_WAA

NO_WAA
  • Members
  • 5821 posts
  • CoCoRaHS ID:GA-GW-15

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:18 PM

Ghost, you need some vegemite.  Get well soon!

#15 Chesby05

Chesby05
  • Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:42 PM

Lol!  Everyone - love it!

I forgot about Ginger Ale - that is a great suggestion.  Ginger is very calming for the stomach.

#16 Ghost

Ghost
  • Members
  • 13184 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:44 PM

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone... drug myself to WalMart and got a can of Cambell's fully loaded beef stew... so far... so good.   icon_smile.gif

BTW... WalMart on Dec 23 is quite a show!

#17 NO_WAA

NO_WAA
  • Members
  • 5821 posts
  • CoCoRaHS ID:GA-GW-15

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE (Ghost @ Dec 23 2007, 9:44 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for all the well wishes everyone... drug myself to WalMart and got a can of Cambell's fully loaded beef stew... so far... so good. icon_smile.gif

BTW... WalMart on Dec 23 is quite a show!

You must be feeling ALOT better to brave that circus.   Beef stew.....good luck! icon_confused.gif

#18 Stormlover

Stormlover
  • Members
  • 45658 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (NO_WAA @ Dec 23 2007, 8:46 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You must be feeling ALOT better to brave that circus.   Beef stew.....good luck! :icon_confused:

Yeah, I would  :eek:have started out with some rice or chicken noodle soup.

Edited by Stormlover, 23 December 2007 - 10:13 PM.

"To all the weather nuts out there I say go for it. The more ideas,the more people see the better it is. Diversity of info is a good thing.."In the weather and in everything let Freedom ring.When there is competition and Freedom the best answer will come to the top"..."There is no authority in the weather.Models can hit they can miss but its the wonderment of it all that is what this is all about"
-Joe Bastardi-Weatherbell Analytics

#19 Ixontes

Ixontes
  • Members
  • 3282 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:15 PM

I was always given chicken noodle soup which up until recently I hated because it reminded me of vomit, but it is finally good to me again  icon_smile.gif
Pray for yourself, pray for your friends and family, but pray more for your enemies and all of those who are lost!!!!!

#20 WX4WIC

WX4WIC
  • Members
  • 6351 posts
  • Radio Callsign:WX4WIC

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE (WBB @ Dec 23 2007, 4:00 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The good old BRATS diet:  Bananas, Applesauce, Rice, Toast, Soup.  Anything bland is fine.

I guess I'd have to eat RATS. (I'm allergic to bananas.)

Actually, I'm wondering if the same thing is beginning to happen to me. eusa_sick.gif I'm feeling awfully puny, and I'm really hot, which is almost unheard of for me.

View PostGhost, on 23 June 2011 - 04:13 PM, said:

It's interesting to see how people's biases totally kill any hope of objectivity in a debate...

#21 TimHSV

TimHSV
  • Members
  • 6224 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:11 AM

Ah, the perfect remedy for me Ghost is....Ginger Ale, Chicken Noodle Soup, and then some applesauce, that'll work for ya my friend  icon_smile.gif
<p>Character is doing the right thing when no one else is looking.

Patrick Henry put it, "It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains."</p>

#22 Stormlover

Stormlover
  • Members
  • 45658 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:13 AM

You didn't need any hair of the dog did you Ghost? icon_lol.gif

"To all the weather nuts out there I say go for it. The more ideas,the more people see the better it is. Diversity of info is a good thing.."In the weather and in everything let Freedom ring.When there is competition and Freedom the best answer will come to the top"..."There is no authority in the weather.Models can hit they can miss but its the wonderment of it all that is what this is all about"
-Joe Bastardi-Weatherbell Analytics

#23 Ghost

Ghost
  • Members
  • 13184 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:23 AM

QUOTE (KG4WIC @ Dec 23 2007, 11:02 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and I'm really hot, which is almost unheard of for me.

icon_mrgreen.gif icon_mrgreen.gif icon_mrgreen.gif   Now cmon... dont be so hard on yourself!

#24 Ghost

Ghost
  • Members
  • 13184 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE (TimHSV @ Dec 23 2007, 11:11 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah, the perfect remedy for me Ghost is....Ginger Ale, Chicken Noodle Soup, and then some applesauce, that'll work for ya my friend  icon_smile.gif

Thanks Tim... sounds like a good remedy to me... I went with beef stew... hope I wasnt too agressive

QUOTE (Stormlover)
You didn't need any hair of the dog did you Ghost? icon_lol.gif

Ha.... well I had crab legs, shrimp, and bbq ribs yesterday... dont know which if any was the source, but I think I'll stay away from those for a while.

#25 WX4WIC

WX4WIC
  • Members
  • 6351 posts
  • Radio Callsign:WX4WIC

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:28 AM

QUOTE (Ghost @ Dec 23 2007, 11:23 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
icon_mrgreen.gif icon_mrgreen.gif icon_mrgreen.gif   Now cmon... dont be so hard on yourself!

Aww, thank you, Ghost! You're too kind!  icon_mrgreen.gif

View PostGhost, on 23 June 2011 - 04:13 PM, said:

It's interesting to see how people's biases totally kill any hope of objectivity in a debate...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users