Dave Brown celebrating 30 years at WMC-TV this month

4 replies to this topic

#1 Memphis Weather

Memphis Weather
  • Members
  • 11484 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:53 PM

Local Memphis weatherman and really true weather legend in the city Dave Brown is celebrating his 30th anniversary at WMC-TV this month, specifically next Monday (5/21). Before coming to Channel 5, Dave worked at WHBQ Channel 13 for 13 years, conveniently enough icon_wink.gif . All together, Dave has been in broadcasting for about 50 years since starting out at local radio stations during high school.

WMC has set up a special page with viewer and local 'celebrity' video greetings, stories, memories, and photos. They also have linked a few YouTube videos highlighting some moments from Dave's past both as a weatherman and popular host of the local Memphis wrestling show which became famous worldwide. The wrestling show was the true reason Dave moved to WMC in 1977, because they took the wrestling show from WHBQ and wanted Dave as well. They also have a few interesting games and such, including a talking virtual bobblehead or something that I don't understand. icon_lol.gif

I will say I am disappointed so far in the lack of classic video clips, WMC has an extensive vault, which they've used before, and I do hope they end up posting some of that stuf in the coming days. Those YouTube videos were from ordinary users, not from WMC, and a good majority of those photos were taken directly from those same clips.

But without further comment, here is the link to the webpage
http://www.wmctv.com/Global/category.asp?C=99820

#2 Memphis Weather

Memphis Weather
  • Members
  • 11484 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:53 PM

Just as an update, WMC will be doing their commemorations during their Monday evening newscasts on the 21st. And by the looks of their promos now running, it looks like they have indeed dug pretty deep into the archives as there were a lot of classic moments thrown in there from a variety of topics and years. Even one clip indicates that Dave Brown and WMC used the famous Snowbird from Bill Hall and WSMV in Nashville for at least a few years! I had no idea that was ever done. Hopefully they'll be adding some of this stuff to the web with time.

#3 InMemphis

InMemphis
  • Members
  • 1536 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:08 AM

I have an old tape that shows a commercial with Dave Brown and the Snowbird.

#4 InMemphis

InMemphis
  • Members
  • 1536 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:22 PM

I enjoyed watching the newscasts tonight and thought just about everything was done well and thought the surprise tonight at 10 was neat. Seeing something like this always makes you wish that they would have shown more or perhaps did a 30 minute or hour long special.

#5 Memphis Weather

Memphis Weather
  • Members
  • 11484 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 12:25 AM

QUOTE(InMemphis @ May 21 2007, 11:22 pm) View Post
I enjoyed watching the newscasts tonight and thought just about everything was done well and thought the surprise tonight at 10 was neat. Seeing something like this always makes you wish that they would have shown more or perhaps did a 30 minute or hour long special.

Indeed it was done well. Enjoyed seeing all those old clips. Turns out that WMC didn't even have their own snowbird, they had to go up to Nashville and shoot those various promos at WSMV, Dave mentioned Bill Hall as well (who of course retired a short while ago). As far as Dave retiring, the rumor was around that he was preparing to and might announce during this month, but he joked that he wasn't going to be retired when telling that he would be gone next week, just on vacation. He did say however that he would hope to be around a "few" more years, so its probably not too far off if I had to guess. I imagine they'll have a big long special when that happens.

The city of Memphis and Shelby County declared Today "Dave Brown Day" as well, and the Shelby County mayor presented him with the official certificate on their 5 PM newscast. At 6 PM there was a report about a few of the big weather events Dave has covered including a Tornado near Graceland in 1978, as well as the 1994 ice storm, 2003 summer storm, and 4/2/06 Tornadoes. They had a big cake on the 10 PM newscast that had a map of the United States highlighting WMC's coverage area and a Doppler Radar Tower in the corner along with the station logo. Looked pretty cool.

Edited by Memphis Weather, 22 May 2007 - 12:27 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users