• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 *~*Rachael*~*

*~*Rachael*~*
  • Members
  • 2174 posts
  • Radio Callsign:NA

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:15 PM

Has anyone dealt with it yet?  They are using an electronic check transfer now.  When you write a check they have to run it through to fill it out, see your ID and then they stamp your check with a void stamp and hand it back to you to keep.  Then you sign a receipt that they keep saying you will be happy to pay a $30.00 fee each time they run it through if it is bad.   It seems to be confusing a lot of elderly people as they don't understand why they are no longer keeping the check (the kids told me that their other grandma refused to take it and walked off).  I know here there have been no notices posted and today was the first time I had talked to people that have done it and they were not happy with it.  I think they should at least take the time to go public and explain the new change.

#2 BlountWolf

BlountWolf
  • Members
  • 30057 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:24 PM

LOL - That's new? I thought it had been that way a while. My wife's stopped even filling out the check at all - the system doesn't need it. Seriously - next time, just hand them the check. I think they could explain if they wanted to, but they know that folks will eventually figure it out without them paying for an expensive ad campaign or something so they probably won't bother. Bottom line, and all that. (Read - Wal-Mart is CHEAP)

#3 Ixontes

Ixontes
  • Members
  • 3282 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:27 PM

It is new at our WalMart. I have seen at gas stations. I sent an e-mail to WalMart that said "Thanks for the new policy! It is the best thing to ever happen to Target!!"  icon_smile.gif

It made me happy to write!
Pray for yourself, pray for your friends and family, but pray more for your enemies and all of those who are lost!!!!!

#4 Lindaloo

Lindaloo
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:51 PM

Our Walmart does not do that yet. Our local grocery store does though.

#5 Evan

Evan
  • Members
  • 13823 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:59 PM

People who still uses checks are the lepers of the modern day. They should be banished to an island.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.

Herman Melville
US novelist & sailor (1819 - 1891)

#6 AlabamaStormTracker

AlabamaStormTracker
  • Members
  • 9876 posts
  • Radio Callsign:WX4BMX

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:01 PM

This policy just went into effect this past Monday at our Wal-Mart.  It has always filled he check out for you, but it has just started deducting the funds out of your account like a debit card.  However, there is a LARGE margin for error there depending on the cashier.  Several people here are having problems with the cashiers scanning them twice.  In turn...deducting from your account TWICE.

#7 SWL

SWL
  • 48641 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE(Evan @ Apr 19 2007, 10:59 pm)  
People who still uses checks are the lepers of the modern day. They should be banished to an island.

I was just thinking the same thing. I was like "what are checks?"  icon_razz.gif

and I use those self-checkouts... heh.
Dolly... Edouard... Fay... Gonzalo... Hanna

The 2014 Atlantic Hurricane Season Names

So far...

3 named storms
3 hurricanes

No majors since Sandy in 2012

My Facebook

#8 *~*Rachael*~*

*~*Rachael*~*
  • Members
  • 2174 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:15 PM

We never use a check unless we run into a place that does not have debit.... which is rare.  Thanks to Costco we never go to Walmart anymore....  we would rather travel over 45 miles one way to shop there rather than go the 5 miles to Walmart.    

#9 BamaGal

BamaGal
  • Members
  • 2946 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE(*~*Rachael*~* @ Apr 19 2007, 11:15 pm)  
We never use a check unless we run into a place that does not have debit.... which is rare.  Thanks to Costco we never go to Walmart anymore....  we would rather travel over 45 miles one way to shop there rather than go the 5 miles to Walmart.

I've heard of Costco but never been to one, since here in my behind-the-times county we don't have one....what is the big difference between them and Walmart?

#10 *~*Rachael*~*

*~*Rachael*~*
  • Members
  • 2174 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE(BamaGal @ Apr 20 2007, 8:05 am)  
I've heard of Costco but never been to one, since here in my behind-the-times county we don't have one....what is the big difference between them and Walmart?

You have to pay $50.00 a year to be a member and every thing is in bulk.  We have been going there for ALL our groceries since Jan and I am saving over $150.00 a month and I have food left over when I go to restock.  With 3 guys in the house it has been a life saver.  PM me if you want to know more  icon_wink.gif

#11 MaroonedInHSV

MaroonedInHSV
  • Members
  • 3400 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE(BamaGal @ Apr 20 2007, 8:05 am)  

Costco is a warehouse club like Sam's.

#12 ScottJ

ScottJ
  • Members
  • 9108 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE(Evan @ Apr 19 2007, 10:59 pm)  

Sort of off-topic but I take it you're a big fan of that Visa Check Card commercial where the cafeteria is brought to a schreeching, messy halt when a patron decides to pay with cash.

While I love technology I'm uncomfortable with pouring derision on the simple, anonymous cash transaction.

#13 Evan

Evan
  • Members
  • 13823 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE(ScottJ @ Apr 20 2007, 9:07 am)  
Sort of off-topic but I take it you're a big fan of that Visa Check Card commercial where the cafeteria is brought to a schreeching, messy halt when a patron decides to pay with cash.

While I love technology I'm uncomfortable with pouring derision on the simple, anonymous cash transaction.

I don't have a problem with people using cash. Just checks.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.

Herman Melville
US novelist & sailor (1819 - 1891)

#14 pagan

pagan
  • Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:27 PM

I stopped using checks when I started running into businesses doing the electronic fund transfer thingy. I'm like, "Why am I taking the time to fill out a check if you're just going to run it through and hand it back to me?" Nowadays the only people that get a check is the Water Authority and to pay medical bills. I think I've been on the same checkbook for over a year now icon_smile.gif.

Edited by pagan, 20 April 2007 - 03:27 PM.

". . . it's the view of the more thoughtful historians, particularly those who have spent time in the same bar as the theoretical physicists,
that the entirety of human history can be considered as a sort of blooper reel. All those wars, all those famines caused by malign stupidity,
all that determined, mindless repetition of the same old errors, are in the great cosmic scheme of things only equivalent to Mr. Spock's ears falling off."

Pratchett; The Last Continent

"A lie can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on."
Pratchett; The Truth

#15 Tennesseestorm

Tennesseestorm
  • Members
  • 5836 posts
  • Location:Tri-Cities Metro (northeast Tennessee) elevation 1170-1800 ft.

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:16 PM

We have several Wal-marts in our local metro area (two of which are in our city) and the one we shop at the most has it and actually has had it for a few months now.  The other one still does not have it, or at least they did not the last time I was up there a month ago.  @ first, many people complained about it, but I think they have gotten used to it.

Edited by Tennesseestorm, 23 April 2007 - 09:17 PM.

Posted Image(Bristol, TN-VA and metro / serving NE Tennessee, SW Virginia, NW North Carolina and SE Kentucky)

#16 Greg D

Greg D
  • Members
  • 4709 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:50 AM

QUOTE(ScottJ @ Apr 20 2007, 9:07 am)  

What I personally find hilarious about that commercial is that unless the merchant has a dedicated line to the CC Clearinghouse, for every card swipe you have to wait for the modem in the terminal to dial, wait for answer, transmit, receive, and print.

...usually taking *much* longer than your average cash transaction.  eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif
"Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty." --Ronald Reagan

#17 Stormlover

Stormlover
  • Members
  • 45956 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE(Evan @ Apr 20 2007, 2:18 pm)  
I don't have a problem with people using cash. Just checks.

Why is that a problem for you? chin.gif
I used a debit card,but I still use checks since it makes a duplicate and I use the register to keep track of what I really have in my account(after everthing has come through).
Wal-mart has been doing that with checks here for about 8 months I think.

"To all the weather nuts out there I say go for it. The more ideas,the more people see the better it is. Diversity of info is a good thing.."In the weather and in everything let Freedom ring.When there is competition and Freedom the best answer will come to the top"..."There is no authority in the weather.Models can hit they can miss but its the wonderment of it all that is what this is all about"
-Joe Bastardi-Weatherbell Analytics

#18 pagan

pagan
  • Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:40 AM

I was shopping at Superpetz this morning and the debit card reader took the longest I've ever had to wait for the transaction to go through. Probably close to a minute. PetsMart's is almost immediate, I don't know why their reader connection is so fast, but it made enough of an impression on me that I remember it. Most everybody else is almost that fast. Five seconds or less for the "transaction approved" screen to come up, then the cashier hands me my receipt, I stuff it in my pocket, and record the transaction in Quicken when I get home. Once every two or three days I'll balance the "register" with my Credit Union. When I run the debit card, I have an online record of who the transaction is to, and when, and no check-writing involved (with people behind me in line tapping their toes in impatience.) Really, I think it's (usually, anyway,) faster than a cash transaction. No keeping up with a written register which I almost always had some sort of mistake in (math is not my forte icon_wink.gif.)

". . . it's the view of the more thoughtful historians, particularly those who have spent time in the same bar as the theoretical physicists,
that the entirety of human history can be considered as a sort of blooper reel. All those wars, all those famines caused by malign stupidity,
all that determined, mindless repetition of the same old errors, are in the great cosmic scheme of things only equivalent to Mr. Spock's ears falling off."

Pratchett; The Last Continent

"A lie can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on."
Pratchett; The Truth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users