Tonsils Out as an Adult

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bamagrad_*

Guest_bamagrad_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:06 PM

Has anyone here had their tonsils taken out since adulthood?  I'm thinking I'm going to end up having to have mine taken out.  I'm wondering how bad it's going to be.

#2 InMemphis

InMemphis
  • Members
  • 1536 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:17 PM

I have always heard the younger you are the better when it comes to getting your tonsils taken out. My uncle had his taken out back in 2002 and had to spend one night in the hospital but he ended up doing fine but was soar for a while.

#3 chicky

chicky
  • Members
  • 1430 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:35 PM

I had mine out when I was.... 31... the week before Thanksgiving... and I was really glad to see Turkey... alot of liquid tylenol in the meantime...
dude... the third day is THE PITS... i don't know why... I guess because it's starting to scab over or heal or something... but I had mine out on a Friday and on Monday, I cried all day.... tuesday was better though and from there on I was ok.
good luck... you'll need a good nurse to keep you drugged and liquified for the first day home and the next...

how's your pain tolerance?....
this was after I had birthed two kids... haha

#4 Evan

Evan
  • Members
  • 13840 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:32 PM

1. Buy good cocaine (it is a fairly powerful anesthetic).
2. Snort lots of said cocaine.
3. No pain and a nice feeling.
4. Profit!?!?!?
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.

Herman Melville
US novelist & sailor (1819 - 1891)

#5 Guest_bamagrad_*

Guest_bamagrad_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:16 AM

QUOTE(chicky)
I had mine out when I was.... 31... the week before Thanksgiving... and I was really glad to see Turkey... alot of liquid tylenol in the meantime...
dude... the third day is THE PITS... i don't know why... I guess because it's starting to scab over or heal or something... but I had mine out on a Friday and on Monday, I cried all day.... tuesday was better though and from there on I was ok.
good luck... you'll need a good nurse to keep you drugged and liquified for the first day home and the next...

how's your pain tolerance?....
this was after I had birthed two kids... haha

I have had a kidney stone.  Two women who have had kidney stones have told me it was worse than giving birth.   I survived that.   It's not certain that I will have my tonsils taken out, but a possibility.

#6 chicky

chicky
  • Members
  • 1430 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:38 AM

I probably just have a low pain tolerance then... I've had a kidney stone too... I don't remember the pain from that as much as the nausea!

It's been worth it for me to have had my tonsils out... I've had a drastic reduction in the visits I have to make to the doc for a sore throat now!

Maybe psycho girl could be your nurse for the week...  icon_cool.gif

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist...  icon_redface.gif

#7 GaTechinHSV

GaTechinHSV
  • Members
  • 5387 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE(bamagrad)
Has anyone here had their tonsils taken out since adulthood?  I'm thinking I'm going to end up having to have mine taken out.  I'm wondering how bad it's going to be.

I was going to have mine out, but changed my mind after a little research. The best description came from a 60 yr old which said, "I gave birth to my three kids without any painkillers, but the pain from having my tonsils out was much worse." A friend's mom also had her's taken out and started hemoraging, which is a bigger issue apparently in adults than children. I go to church with an MD which had her out at 18 and she said it was definately something to do earlier in life than later.

The ENT I went to said it was a bad surgery. I asked what I could do to delay or prevent it? He said gargle with 50% Listerine (50% H20) every day. Since I started that, my tonsils have acted much better.
"Get right or get left." - Huntsville church sign on Four Mile Post Rd

#8 Angel Eyes

Angel Eyes
  • Members
  • 2224 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:23 AM

I had mine removed when I was 25. My tonsils were so inlarged they were actually touching all the time! icon_eek.gif  It wasn't a cake walk for me because they burned my tongue by accident. It made a huge ulcer which made healing time alot more difficult for me.  icon_sad.gif   After I completely healed, I wouldn't change a thing. I still get strep from time to time, but I'd take the time to time anyday! icon_wink.gif
People change so that you can learn to let go.
Things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right.
You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself.
Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users