THE SOUTHERN SNOWSTORM OF 1973

27 replies to this topic

#1 1bert1

1bert1
  • Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 05:52 PM

We received 16 inches at my house in Matthews Ga (25 miles SW of Augusta Ga). We even had some thundersnow! I think parts of Alabama had 20+ inches also.

REGIONAL SNOWFALL TOTALS
(bold type indicates locations in the Central Savannah River Area)
SOUTH CAROLINA   --GEORGIA
Rimini, SC 24.0"   --Thomaston, GA 19.3"
Bamberg, SC 22.0" -- Butler, GA 18.5"
Manning, SC 21.0"   --Macon, GA 16.5"
Florence, SC 17.0"   --Waynesboro, GA 16.0"
Blackville, SC 17.0"   --Fort Valley, GA 15.0"
West Columbia, SC 16.0" -- Louisville, GA 14.8"
Pelion, SC 15.5"   --Augusta, GA 14.0"
Aiken, SC 15.0" --Columbus, GA 14.0"
Springfield, SC 15.0"   --Dublin, GA 14.0"
Summerville, SC 15.0"   --Hawkinsville, GA 14.0"
Kingstree, SC 13.0"   --Warrenton, GA 14.0"
Yemassee, SC 12.0"   --Siloam, GA 13.0"
Conway, SC 12.0"   --Milledgeville, GA 13.0"
Camden, SC 12.0"   --Millhaven, GA 12.8"
Winnsboro, SC 12.0"   --Sandersville, GA 12.0"
Cheraw, SC 11.5"   --Forsyth, GA 10.0"
Hampton, SC 11.0"   --Preston, GA 10.0"
Saluda, SC 10.0"   --Appling, GA 10.0"
Murrells Inlet, SC 9.5"   --Godfrey, GA 9.0"
Greenwood, SC 8.6"   --Woodbury, GA 9.0"
Little Mountain, SC 8.0"   --Lincolnton, GA 8.0"
Ridgeland, SC 8.0"   --Newington, GA 8.0"
Beaufort, SC 6.0"   --Americus, GA 8.0"
Newberry, SC 5.5"   --Swainsboro, GA 7.5"
Pageland, SC 5.0"   --Statesboro, GA 5.0"
Union, SC 4.0"   --Jesup, GA 4.0"
Hilton Head, SC 2.0"   --Savannah, GA 3.2"
Gaffney, SC 2.0"   --Albany, GA 3.0

Edited by 1bert1, 25 January 2009 - 01:48 PM.

#2 PerryW

PerryW
  • Members
  • 4499 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:20 AM

Yeah, I was 11 and will never forget it.  They closed all the schools in this area (west metro Atlanta), and it never snowed a flake here; missed us to the south.  I was one cranky, unhappy 5th grader the next morning at the school bus stop  icon_lol.gif

#3 WxBen26

WxBen26
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 06:07 AM

I'd like to see the synoptic pattern that created this!

#4 hmorton

hmorton
  • Meteorologist
  • 637 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 02:18 PM

I remember my dad talking about this storm. He loves snow and he said that all of the weathermen in Huntsville were calling for a big snow. It wasn't a matter of if, but how much. He said that he waited up just about all night and it didn't snow at all across North Alabama. The next day he found out is snowed 14" in Auburn. He was very upset. That had to be a very freak storm to cause that much snow that far south. I would love to see that synoptic set up as well.
The moonlight lets me know the sun is shining somewhere.

#5 PerryW

PerryW
  • Members
  • 4499 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:47 PM

I don't remember all the specifics, but many years ago found an article in Weatherwise magazine regarding the February 1973 southern snowstorm (it was either a 1973 or 1974 issue; believe it was 73').

Among the synoptic features was a deepening low pressure which developed near Brownsville,  Texas and  moved ENE across the central GOM then across Florida on a just north of Tampa to Daytona Beach line.  In a typical southern snowstorm (according to the article), the heaviestg snowfall occurs about 260 n mi northwest of the surface cyclone track....which corresponded perfectly with the axis of deepest snowfall from near the Mississippi coast to south of Montgomery then across middle Georgia from Columbus to near Augusta.   It also mentioned an arctic cold front was moving southward through Georgia as precip commenced, why Macon, Georgia experienced freezing rain and sleet before changing over to a very wet, heavy snowfall (16" at KMCN).

According to the Weatherwise article, a similar type synoptic even occurred in February 1914 (left a blanket of snow 8" or more across middle Georgia).  The best I recall, this Weatherwise article was written by forecasters at the NWSFO in Atlanta; I've used some of the things I learned from that article in forecasting snow and ice storms over the years; it was very specific about the parameters which caused such unusual snowfalls to occur in Georgia

#6 weatherguy

weatherguy
  • Members
  • 2203 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 06:09 PM

#7 ColaSnow

ColaSnow
  • Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:27 PM

Hello to all!  I'm new to this site, as y'all probably can see due to my number of 'hits.'  lol   I, stumbled upon this site while looking up info to the 2004 snowstorm that hit northern South and North Carolina.  I, once found a map (like the one on this thread) that showed the inches of snow that parts of South and North Carolina received on that late February day.

I'm not a 'guru' or a meteorologist-in-training like some of you are on this site, but I'm an avid fan of snow.  We don't get it much in our area and I enjoy it each and every, chance there is snow in Columbia, SC.

Getting to the topic at hand....  I was born 8 days before the supposed, "Storm of the Century" that hit the Southeast area of the US of A back in February of 1973.  I've heard stories from my oldest brother (who was 6 yrs. old at the time), my parents, relatives and older people from work.  They all vividly remember this storm and recall how shocked they were to see a storm of this proportion hit the deep south.  I've seen my share of snowstorms, as a child-to-now-adulthood.  

I, recall receiving snow a couple of weeks apart when I was 6 yrs. old.  Do any of you recall the early-March 1980 snowstorm?  I, believe we got like 4 inches a couple of weeks before that particular storm and ended up receiving like 3.5 inches of snow during the March storm.

Do any of you recall the "surprise" January 2000 snowstorm?  We were only expecting rain and possibly, some freezing rain/sleet at best....  I was at work at the time and we were surprised when we heard the breaking news on the radio. The radio station were calling for like 3-4" of snow.  Like within an hour of the forecast.... It was coming down in buckets!  

I'm sure all of you recall the January 2002 storm where it snowed from early afternoon-to-the-evening hours?  Then, it started snowing again the next morning 'til the evening hours again?  I'm sure y'all clearly remember those aforementioned snowstorms.

Now, without further adieu....  Here is a very, thorough document of the 1973 Southeastern Snowstorm/Storm of the Century:

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/papers/...EDSNCC2free.pdf

Edited by ColaSnow, 22 January 2009 - 07:50 PM.

#8 Fred Gossage

Fred Gossage
  • Members
  • 4678 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:39 PM

Images courtesy of wxhistory.com

#9 Matt

Matt
  • Members
  • 8383 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:30 PM

We had 4.5" at our house in Mobile. I was a youngster back then.

#10 Psalm 148:8

Psalm 148:8
  • Members
  • 1422 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:39 PM

My mom has told me many times that Columbus (south of us) sometimes gets a big snow that misses here....Although this was a "biggey", I remember several other smaller snows that Columbus got and we got zilch!
Psalm 148:7-8
Praise the Lord from the earth, you great sea creatures and all deeps, fire and hail, snow and mist, stormy wind fulfilling his word!

ESV

SOLI DEO GLORIA

#11 superjames1992

superjames1992
  • Members
  • 5822 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:15 AM

How bout the snow which went through Florida in 1977 and brought a bit of accumulation to Orlando and Tampa and even brought some non-accumulating snow to Miami and Homestead.  Some snow was even reported mixing with rain in the Bahamas!  That's pretty awesome.

http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/alma...02/alm02jan.htm

It's interesting to read about these rare southern snowfalls.  Remember when Brownsville got a White Christmas in 2005, their first accumulating snowfall since 1895?

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/pictures/b...echristmas.html

Pretty cool stuff.

Edited by superjames1992, 24 January 2009 - 01:16 AM.

Winter 2013-2014
First Freeze: 10/26
Last Freeze: 4/17
First Snowfall: 11/12
First Measurable Snowfall: 1/21
Coldest Temperature: 4F
Wintry Events:
11/12 - T SN
11/26 - T ZR
11/27 - T SN
12/8 - Glaze of ZR
1/15 - T SN
1/21 - 0.5" SN
1/28 - 1.5" SN
2/10 - T SN
2/12-2/13 - 8.0" SN/IP, 0.10" ZR
3/3 - 0.5" SN/IP, T ZR
3/6-3/7 - 3.0" IP, 0.50" ZR
3/17 - 0.5" IP, 0.10" ZR
3/25 - T SN
3/30 - T SN

#12 1bert1

1bert1
  • Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (ColaSnow @ Jan 22 2009, 7:27 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello to all!  I'm new to this site, as y'all probably can see due to my number of 'hits.'  lol   I, stumbled upon this site while looking up info to the 2004 snowstorm that hit northern South and North Carolina.  I, once found a map (like the one on this thread) that showed the inches of snow that parts of South and North Carolina received on that late February day.

I'm not a 'guru' or a meteorologist-in-training like some of you are on this site, but I'm an avid fan of snow.  We don't get it much in our area and I enjoy it each and every, chance there is snow in Columbia, SC.

Getting to the topic at hand....  I was born 8 days before the supposed, "Storm of the Century" that hit the Southeast area of the US of A back in February of 1973.  I've heard stories from my oldest brother (who was 6 yrs. old at the time), my parents, relatives and older people from work.  They all vividly remember this storm and recall how shocked they were to see a storm of this proportion hit the deep south.  I've seen my share of snowstorms, as a child-to-now-adulthood.  

I, recall receiving snow a couple of weeks apart when I was 6 yrs. old.  Do any of you recall the early-March 1980 snowstorm?  I, believe we got like 4 inches a couple of weeks before that particular storm and ended up receiving like 3.5 inches of snow during the March storm.

Do any of you recall the "surprise" January 2000 snowstorm?  We were only expecting rain and possibly, some freezing rain/sleet at best....  I was at work at the time and we were surprised when we heard the breaking news on the radio. The radio station were calling for like 3-4" of snow.  Like within an hour of the forecast.... It was coming down in buckets!  

I'm sure all of you recall the January 2002 storm where it snowed from early afternoon-to-the-evening hours?  Then, it started snowing again the next morning 'til the evening hours again?  I'm sure y'all clearly remember those aforementioned snowstorms.

Now, without further adieu....  Here is a very, thorough document of the 1973 Southeastern Snowstorm/Storm of the Century:

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/papers/...EDSNCC2free.pdf

Thank you for posting that link! I enjoyed reading that. I was 3 when that happened and I thought it was common to see 4 foot icicles hanging off the side of the roof. Boy was I wrong.My grandmother took some pictures of the storm. I will try to post them.  Mt granddad always talked about the storm of 1914 when talking about the 73 storm. He said that dumped about 9 inches.

Weather forecast for tonight:  dark.  ~George Carlin

The superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions.

“In the end we are all separate: our stories, no matter how similar, come to a fork and diverge. We are drawn to each other because of our similarities, but it is our differences we must learn to respect.”
http://www.raysweather.com

#13 Jenifer Jerri

Jenifer Jerri
  • Members
  • 597 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:31 PM

I remember this snow storm! I guess it was the 1st time I ever saw snow, I lived in Moncks Corner, SC and I was in the 3rd grade..it was fun for a little kid, I don't know how much snow, but it seemed like a ton!
JerriPosted Image

#14 RollTideRod

RollTideRod
  • Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (SouthernWx @ Jan 10 2006, 4:20 am) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I was 11 and will never forget it.  They closed all the schools in this area (west metro Atlanta), and it never snowed a flake here; missed us to the south.  I was one cranky, unhappy 5th grader the next morning at the school bus stop  icon_lol.gif

I remember it well. Seems like highs in the 20's for several days preceding the storm and just like Atl., B'ham didn't get a flake while south AL got buried.

#15 ColaSnow

ColaSnow
  • Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE (superjames1992 @ Jan 24 2009, 2:15 am) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How bout the snow which went through Florida in 1977 and brought a bit of accumulation to Orlando and Tampa and even brought some non-accumulating snow to Miami and Homestead.  Some snow was even reported mixing with rain in the Bahamas!  That's pretty awesome.

http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/alma...02/alm02jan.htm

It's interesting to read about these rare southern snowfalls.  Remember when Brownsville got a White Christmas in 2005, their first accumulating snowfall since 1895?

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/pictures/b...echristmas.html

Pretty cool stuff.

Wow!  I, once heard someone tell me about this before....  I wanna say, it was a co-workers' hubby who was living in Miami at that particular time.  I see it is true!

That is more amazing than the 1973 Southeastern Snowstorm, if you ask me!  I'll say that must've been one FREAKISH weather system going on for that to take place.  Snow mixed with rain in the Bahamas!?!  WOW!  LOL

#16 ColaSnow

ColaSnow
  • Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE (1bert1 @ Jan 24 2009, 3:22 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you for posting that link! I enjoyed reading that. I was 3 when that happened and I thought it was common to see 4 foot icicles hanging off the side of the roof. Boy was I wrong.My grandmother took some pictures of the storm. I will try to post them.  Mt granddad always talked about the storm of 1914 when talking about the 73 storm. He said that dumped about 9 inches.

You're welcome!  I found that particular link nearly 2 years ago.... I've always been curious about the 1973 Southeastern Snowstorm and wanted to find a fairly, thorough report on it and voila'!  This particular report is as thorough, as it gets!  Not to mention, a good read, as well.

My fingers are crossed to receive another storm of this proportion in my lifetime.  LOL

#17 1bert1

1bert1
  • Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:07 PM

It is amazing that central SE states have had heavy snow like that. From the article it looks like it was 1890's, 1914, and 1973.  My mother has said that her grandmother spoke of the one in the 1890's. I am working on getting the pics up from the 1973 storm. What is a good hosting site that is easy to use?

“In the end we are all separate: our stories, no matter how similar, come to a fork and diverge. We are drawn to each other because of our similarities, but it is our differences we must learn to respect.”

#18 ColaSnow

ColaSnow
  • Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (1bert1 @ Jan 25 2009, 1:07 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is amazing that central SE states have had heavy snow like that. From the article it looks like it was 1890's, 1914, and 1973.  My mother has said that her grandmother spoke of the one in the 1890's. I am working on getting the pics up from the 1973 storm. What is a good hosting site that is easy to use?

You're right that is 'amazing' that areas in this part of the country have been hit with that type of heavy snow.  I'm sure some of you remember the snowstorm back in February of 2004.  My area got a brief period (like an hour worth) of sleet and snow, while a 20 minute drive northwest (Winnsboro, SC and Newberry, SC) of myself received like 5-6" of snow!   Not to mention, 45-50 mins. of myself in Rock Hill, SC and Charlotte, NC had over 20" of white stuff on that eventful (uneventful, for myself and others) February day.

I can recall a couple of meteorologists in my area talking about the 'fine line' between receiving basically nothing to receiving a pretty, good amount of snow.  While, people in Fairfield and Newberry Counties had a couple of days off from work..... I was stuck at work fiddling with my thumbs.  LOL

By the way, I'm not sure of a hosting site for your pics on the '73 Southeastern Snowstorm.  WLTX-19 (Columbia) ran a story of the '73 storm during a 35th anniversary of it a year ago.  The station ran a video of their broadcast from '73 once the storm had did its damage.  They showed videos of Columbia and Sumter, SC.  They also had pics of the storm and had a blog on their website for people to talk about that whale of a storm.  Once, WLTX-19 upgraded their website all of the info was taken away.  

Hope you find a way to get up those pics, 1bert.  

#19 1bert1

1bert1
  • Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:47 PM

Here are some links to the pics....

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9830/snow1gv3.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/4647/snow2ob6.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9462/snow3ja3.jpg

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/2272/snow4yv2.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/4964/snow5gt0.jpg

Edited by 1bert1, 25 January 2009 - 01:58 PM.

#20 John Jaye

John Jaye
  • Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:58 PM

Matt, I was also in Mobile at that time. We lived just behind Springdale Plaza. It was not a Mall yet. I was a freshman in college at USA and we had a ball playing in the snow like we were still in 2nd or 3rd grade. One of my favorite memories of that event was sledding down the hill on Airport Blvd. down to the Beltline. (I-65) An older man who was dressed in an expensive topcoat stopped to watch us. Finally he asked if he could try it just once. We said OK and down the hill he went. I beleive he had the biggest smile on his face I have ever seen. He said he had always wanted to do that and so fulfilled a life-long dream. We offered for him to go again, but he said no. He got in his big car and away he went. there were some other guys there who had taken the skag off of their surfboard and were going down the hill. They had some spectacular busts with that thing. Thanks for helping me with some great memories. JJ

#21 ColaSnow

ColaSnow
  • Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (1bert1 @ Jan 25 2009, 2:47 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good pics, 1bert!  So, those pics are from 9" of snow, huh?  So, you have an idea of how the pics look from 15"-23" of snow, right?  lol  

The smell of nostalgia!

#22 superjames1992

superjames1992
  • Members
  • 5822 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE (1bert1 @ Jan 25 2009, 1:47 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pretty cool!  icon_biggrin.gif
Winter 2013-2014
First Freeze: 10/26
Last Freeze: 4/17
First Snowfall: 11/12
First Measurable Snowfall: 1/21
Coldest Temperature: 4F
Wintry Events:
11/12 - T SN
11/26 - T ZR
11/27 - T SN
12/8 - Glaze of ZR
1/15 - T SN
1/21 - 0.5" SN
1/28 - 1.5" SN
2/10 - T SN
2/12-2/13 - 8.0" SN/IP, 0.10" ZR
3/3 - 0.5" SN/IP, T ZR
3/6-3/7 - 3.0" IP, 0.50" ZR
3/17 - 0.5" IP, 0.10" ZR
3/25 - T SN
3/30 - T SN

#23 1bert1

1bert1
  • Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (ColaSnow @ Jan 26 2009, 4:22 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good pics, 1bert!  So, those pics are from 9" of snow, huh?  So, you have an idea of how the pics look from 15"-23" of snow, right?  lol  

The smell of nostalgia!

No, these are the pics from the 16" snow. The nine inch snow was in1914. Of course some melting had occurred. These pics where taken on Monday. The snow stopped on Saturday.

#24 ColaSnow

ColaSnow
  • Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (1bert1 @ Jan 26 2009, 8:26 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, these are the pics from the 16" snow. The nine inch snow was in1914. Of course some melting had occurred. These pics where taken on Monday. The snow stopped on Saturday.

Yeah, you're right! My bad! The storm started on Friday afternoon and ended on Saturday afternoon.

#25 ColaSnow

ColaSnow
  • Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:40 PM

A photo gallery of the epic storm of '73.

http://www.thestate.com/slideshows/gallery...ffiliate.74.JPG

#26 ColaSnow

ColaSnow
  • Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:50 PM

Here is a blog from one of the local weathermen in the area....  He also has a couple of pics from the '73 storm, as well.

Snowy Weather Possible Early Next Week ... And a Memorandum of the 1973 Blizzard
UPDATED [FORECAST INFO] 1/28 - 11:30pm

(A new blog entry for Thu., 1/29 is in the works! Please check back early this afternoon!)

As you know, it is nearly impossible to forecast past about 5 days from the present, with dead accuracy. Even within that length of time, it can be a stretch to get it right as there are infinite tiny changes which can lead to drastically different outcome.

http://wistv.typepad.com/storm_team_weathe...k-possible.html

#27 1bert1

1bert1
  • Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:56 PM

Thanks for the links!

#28 ColaSnow

ColaSnow
  • Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE (1bert1 @ Jan 29 2009, 5:56 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the links!

Here is a link that was added either today or yesterday on WIS-TV 10 news in my area, 1Bert (and, others).  

Joe Pinner (one of the longtime mets in the area) loves snow just, as much as anyone else on this site!  Watch and enjoy!

http://www.wistv.com/global/category.asp?c...;autoStart=true

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Yahoo (1)