Can you overdose on Antibiotics?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bamagrad_*

Guest_bamagrad_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2005 - 05:04 PM

I got an antibiotic shot on Sunday. I've also been taking an oral antibiotic called Biaxin.  Then yesterday (Thursday) I had to go and get another antibiotic shot and I'm still taking the Biaxin.

Is it possible to get too much of this stuff in your system?  I've gone to the same doctor for all of it, so I'd think no.   But I have had a horrible taste in my mouth all day and a lot of anxiety.  I feel kind of panic stricken at times.

#2 nautile

nautile
  • Members
  • 4111 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 05:06 PM

paging WBB . . .

#3 CT_Yankee

CT_Yankee
  • Members
  • 4345 posts
  • CoCoRaHS ID:TN-ML-14

Posted 04 March 2005 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE(bamagrad)
I got an antibiotic shot on Sunday. I've also been taking an oral antibiotic called Biaxin.  Then yesterday (Thursday) I had to go and get another antibiotic shot and I'm still taking the Biaxin.

Is it possible to get too much of this stuff in your system?  I've gone to the same doctor for all of it, so I'd think no.   But I have had a horrible taste in my mouth all day and a lot of anxiety.  I feel kind of panic stricken at times.

I would suggest definitely letting your doctor know what's going on.
Aaron
Not-So-Advanced Certified Storm Spotter

My Current Conditions

#4 SWL

SWL
  • 48747 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 05:13 PM

I don't see why you can't... you can overdose on anything just like you can overeat.

#5 copasetic

copasetic
  • Technical Administrator
  • 5533 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 05:13 PM

A side effect of Biaxin is the metallic taste in the back of your throat!

I've had to take it before and wonderd the same thing. Powerful antibiotics do make you feel funky. Keep in mind whatever you are taking them for is also makeing you feel bad as well.

There are some antibiotics that yes you can get to much of but its not like a OD would be with some narcotics or something like that. However I'm sure as with anything there is a risk where you could damage your liver or kidneys or a number of things.

However your doctor is going to know what is right. I would take my recomended dosages and possibly take a little food with it if it does not specifically say not to do so.

Also give the office a call and just verify your dosage amounts and interactions. The pharmacy that filled the RX could also provide you with limited information as well.

Brandon

#6 Blizzard1

Blizzard1
  • Members
  • 6015 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE(bamagrad)

I'm no Doctor but taking too many antibiotics isn't a great idea, especially for children. Over time, your immune system will rely too much on antibiotics and taper down it's natural effectiveness. I liken it to wearing corrective lenses in the sense that your eye muscles don't work as hard with the aid of lenses and they tend to weaken, thus a stronger Rx is needed. I think it's a similar comparison. Like I said, that is my opinion and not etched in stone.

#7 WBB

WBB
  • Members
  • 9190 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 06:04 PM

Brandon is right...it's the Biaxin causing the metallic taste.  And you are not going to OD on antibiotics in recommended doses.  They are not built up in your system like some medications.  Generally within 12 to 24 hours they have been metabolized by the liver and are excreted.  As far as kidney damage...hmmm...if you already have kidney damage, then you have adjust the dose to not get toxic.  The main antibiotics you can OD on are called aminoglycosides...gentamicin, tobramycin, amikacin, neomycin, etc.  But those antibiotics are only serious if overdone in the IV form.  You do use them topically (like for pink eye), but you can't OD on a topical antibiotic.

#8 WBB

WBB
  • Members
  • 9190 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE(Blizzard1)

I'm no Doctor but taking too many antibiotics isn't a great idea, especially for children. Over time, your immune system will rely too much on antibiotics and taper down it's natural effectiveness. I liken it to wearing corrective lenses in the sense that your eye muscles don't work as hard with the aid of lenses and they tend to weaken, thus a stronger Rx is needed. I think it's a similar comparison. Like I said, that is my opinion and not etched in stone.

Nope.  That is not the problem.  Antibiotics don't affect your immune system.  They kill bacteria.  If you have a serious bacterial infection, you need antibiotics to cure it.  The problem comes because bacteria have the ability to mutate and develop resistance to the mechanisms used by antibiotics to kill them.  Then the antibiotics become useless if they can't kill the mutated bacteria.

#9 Titan

Titan
  • Members
  • 11662 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 08:15 PM

<<< Wonders why nobody paged the person who is an actual PHARMACY STUDENT!  :!:  :!:  :!:

WBB nailed it though... Geez my chance to show some expertise on a subject and I didn't see it in time. icon_confused.gif

Dr. Blake Shoemaker
McWhorter School of Pharmacy c/o 2008

Posted Image

#10 Peter

Peter
  • Members
  • 4548 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 08:29 PM

[quote=Titan]<<< Wonders why nobody paged the person who is an actual PHARMACY STUDENT!  :!:  :!:  :!:

Pharmacists do all the work for a tenth the recognition of MDs.  Get used to it, man.  icon_smile.gif

And at UAB, they save the docs from making major med errors daily.  There's a reason pharmacists are routinely voted "Most Trusted Profession"...  

So, be proud of your profession, Titan.

#11 Evan

Evan
  • Members
  • 13841 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 09:12 PM

[quote=Peter][quote=Titan]<<< Wonders why nobody paged the person who is an actual PHARMACY STUDENT!  :!:  :!:  :!:

Pharmacists do all the work for a tenth the recognition of MDs.  Get used to it, man.  icon_smile.gif

And at UAB, they save the docs from making major med errors daily.  There's a reason pharmacists are routinely voted \"Most Trusted Profession\"...  

So, be proud of your profession, Titan.[/quote]

I trusted pharamacists until they gave me Desoxyn instead of Dilaudid.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.

Herman Melville
US novelist & sailor (1819 - 1891)

#12 Guest_bamagrad_*

Guest_bamagrad_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:00 PM

I appreciate the replies.  I've been taking the Biaxin since Monday, but the bad taste didn't start until today, or the anxiety.  I've also become  depressed.

I believe it's the antibiotic shot they gave me yesterday.  I'm not sure what kind it was.  Anybody know if any antibiotics are known to cause depression?

#13 BamaGal

BamaGal
  • Members
  • 2946 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE(bamagrad)
I appreciate the replies.  I've been taking the Biaxin since Monday, but the bad taste didn't start until today, or the anxiety.  I've also become  depressed.

I believe it's the antibiotic shot they gave me yesterday.  I'm not sure what kind it was.  Anybody know if any antibiotics are known to cause depression?

bamagrad check your pm

#14 Guest_bamagrad_*

Guest_bamagrad_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:28 PM

I honestly have felt worse this week than I have in my entire life.  I believe the sickness itself is part of it and the medicine is also causing problems.

I was given a hydracodone cough medicine.  I don't know how anyone could get hooked on that stuff.  It caused me to have terrifying nightmares.  In addition to the antibiotics, I think the medicine is causing as many problems as it's helping.

#15 WBB

WBB
  • Members
  • 9190 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE(bamagrad)
I honestly have felt worse this week than I have in my entire life.  I believe the sickness itself is part of it and the medicine is also causing problems.

I was given a hydracodone cough medicine.  I don't know how anyone could get hooked on that stuff.  It caused me to have terrifying nightmares.  In addition to the antibiotics, I think the medicine is causing as many problems as it's helping.

When did your depression begin in relation to taking the hydrocodone cough syrup?

#16 BamaGal

BamaGal
  • Members
  • 2946 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:45 PM

The cough syrup they gave me was hydro-dp, I dont know if thats the kind you are talking about but it makes me terribly sick to my stomach, I just couldn't take it.  My daughter has something called M-end and I can't tell it works at all so far.

#17 Titan

Titan
  • Members
  • 11662 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 03:05 AM

QUOTE(bamagrad)
I appreciate the replies.  I've been taking the Biaxin since Monday, but the bad taste didn't start until today, or the anxiety.  I've also become depressed.

I PMed this to you, but I will post it here for anyone else who is interested...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are two distinct possibilities in this case...

(1.) I noticed that you were also taking some kind of cough syrup as well... A lot of these contain various forms of decongestants and/or antihistamines. During different clinical trials, around 10% of the people tested reported anxiety or depression as a side effect of either the decongestant or antihistamine(more common).

It gets more complicated... Certain decongestants and antihistamines are metabolized by liver enzymes. Some antibiotics, including Biaxin, are blockers of the enzyme! If Biaxin is combined with certain A's and D's, it may slow the release of them from your body, leading to increase in blood level, and increase in side effects.

(2.) A lot of people report feeling worse in the first few days after starting antibiotic treatment... Just a general feeling of fatigue and possibly feeling sicker. This happens because the initial dose of antibiotic kills a HUGE amount of bacteria, and you have a whole bunch of dead bacteria floating around in the system. Your body increases its work rate to clear the waste products, and in turn may speed up the heart rate or metabolic rate. Even though you can't feel a huge difference in activity, your body's "overtime work" fatigues you much more easily. As a result, you feel bad and tired, for no reason that you can explain.

Dr. Blake Shoemaker

Posted Image

#18 nautile

nautile
  • Members
  • 4111 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 08:39 AM

[quote=Titan]<<< Wonders why nobody paged the person who is an actual PHARMACY STUDENT!  :!:  :!:  :!:

WBB nailed it though... Geez my chance to show some expertise on a subject and I didn't see it in time. icon_confused.gif

Aww, I'm sorry, I forgot, don't hate me!   icon_redface.gif

#19 Guest_bamagrad_*

Guest_bamagrad_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2005 - 11:09 AM

Update on my crazy "drug" induced week.

At 11pm last night, I couldn't take it anymore.  I felt like I was going out of my mind.  So I drove to the Emergency room.  After I convinced the doctor I wasn't some kind of drug addict, he actually became concerned.  He believes the antibiotics didn't have anything to do with my anxiety or depression.  He thinks it's a side effect of the steriod shot I was given on my first visit to the doctor on Sunday.   So I was given a medicine called Ativan and it did calm me down, to the point that I feel like I have a hangover today.  But at least I'm not depressed anymore.

Thanks for all the replies.  Hopefully this is the end of it, maybe someone else learned some things too.

#20 Titan

Titan
  • Members
  • 11662 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 12:33 PM

[quote=nautile][quote=Titan]<<< Wonders why nobody paged the person who is an actual PHARMACY STUDENT!  :!:  :!:  :!:

Aww, I'm sorry, I forgot, don't hate me!   icon_redface.gif[/quote]

Ha ha ha... It's ok... icon_razz.gif
Dr. Blake Shoemaker

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users