• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NorthGaWeather

NorthGaWeather
  • Members
  • 6515 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 05:48 PM

Posted Image

Long-time 11Alive weatherman Guy Sharpe died Friday, days after being admitted to Crawford Long Hospital. His condition had been watched closely by 11Alive staffers who worked with Sharpe before his retirement in May of 1996.

Sharpe broke down in tears at the end of his final broadcast alongside co-anchors Jill Becker and Chuck Moore, who asked about the best part of his career.

"There is no best. It's people. I have been so blessed. I don't know how anybody can knock it," he replied.

"He was so genuine. He genuinely embraced his faith. He genuinely loved his family. He genuinely didn't know a stranger. I just think he just was one of the most real and honest people I've ever known," Becker said after learning of Guy's death.

Sharpe was one of the most recognizable weathercasters and television personalities in the Atlanta market for decades. He worked in radio before moving into television, first with jobs at WSB-TV and WAGA-TV. He spent the final 19 years of his broadcast career at WXIA-TV.

"He was an institution. He brought personality and charm to television," said 11Alive Consumer Editor Bill Liss. "When you got up in the morning, you got up with Guy Sharpe. He was part of your day."

"I felt it myself, personally, an honor to be on the same show with him because I was on there with an institution."

Sharpe even returned to the station for a one-week special appearance on the morning show in July of 1999.

Sharpe was inducted into the Georgia Association of Broadcasters Hall of Fame for having spent 50 years in TV and radio in the state. He entered broadcasting after leaving his job as a part-time minister and part-time clothes salesman.

"I took a $35-a-week pay cut and started at $75 a week working a split shift...and I did that and when I finished there five years later, mainly doing sports at those times, I had finally gotten back up to $102.50," Sharpe reflected before his final broadcast on 11Alive.

Born in March of 1929, Sharpe was preceded in death by his wife, Virginia. He studied for the ministry at Young Harris College and was among the first male students admitted to the previously all-women's LaGrange College.

After he left WXIA, Sharpe returned to his roots -- spending four hours a day on the radio. His time was split between a morning talk show and a evening Oldies show at WGFS-AM (1430) in Covington.

Visitation hours have been scheduled from 2 to 4 p.m. and then again from 7 to 9 p.m. on Monday at the HM Patterson and Sons, Spring Hill located on 1020 Spring Street.

The funeral is scheduled for 1 p.m. Tuesday at the same location. Burial is to follow at Westview Cemetary.

In lieu of flowers, public should make contributions to the Muscular Dystrophy Associatio
"Our passions are not too strong, they are too weak.  We are far too easily pleased." C.S. Lewis

#2 SWL

SWL
  • 48641 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 05:55 PM

They talked about this guy being hospitalized last night on Fox 5(WAGA). I didn't know he was that sick though.  :(
Dolly... Edouard... Fay... Gonzalo... Hanna

The 2014 Atlantic Hurricane Season Names

So far...

3 named storms
3 hurricanes

No majors since Sandy in 2012

My Facebook

#3 NorthGaWeather

NorthGaWeather
  • Members
  • 6515 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 05:57 PM

http://www.wxia.com/...x?storyid=51739  This the link to the story there is also a video put together about Guy.
"Our passions are not too strong, they are too weak.  We are far too easily pleased." C.S. Lewis

#4 jenbo3

jenbo3
  • Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 10:36 AM

I am heartbroken.  Guy Sharpe was such a treasure.  We were able to get the Atlanta tv stations on cable in North Georgia and I adored this man.  I remember when he was moved to the day shift so that Russ Minsheu could move into the prime weather spot.

Guy loved snow and his forecasts were so warm and fuzzy.  I remember when his wife passed away, he loved her so and it was a heartbreak to see his grief.  We were lucky enough to be in Atlanta when he did the brief return to tv.  I think I have it on tape somehwere.

I'll say a prayer for his family.

Jen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users